Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Going from memory, Krogulec differentiates the two types by 1) the die flaws near the letter “O” on the left cross arm, and 2) the ribbon ring. Earlier production crosses have a heavier gauge ribbon ring with soldered joint, and possibly also different diameter. Considering that both of your crosses have the die flaws then they would be the 22a. Although it would be interesting to know if there are any differences in their ribbon rings.

As an aside, the maker of this cross remains unknown, although supposedly it originates from the Middle / Near East. It has been rumoured that the maker may in fact be Italian. Thus far no evidence has surfaced to support this. If there’s any truth to this it would be a similar story to the “Swiss made” PSZ Army Medal for War 1939-45, unofficially named the “Geneva Type”. Recently some were found stored in the Sikorski Museum vault with their original factory packaging – labeled Lorioli, Milano-Roma! This is one of several discoveries over the past few years that have changed long held beliefs in our hobby.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks Tony for knowledge lessons
    Ribbon ring be similar, not soldered, but one is more red-copper?? second is more yellow-brass?
    Maybe you have pics KW 22 type

Hi Tomek,

The different appearance may just be different patination from having been stored in unlike environments over the past 70+ years. Can you post pictures taken under natural outdoor light?

Posted below is a 22. Note the absence of the die flaws around the letter "O", and the soldered ribbon ring.

Except credit: Krzyz Walecznych by G. Krogulec

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Tony, probably you're right, i looked again and colors are similar.

Thank you for the photo 22
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Thanks for your photos Tomek. Here's a close up showing the main die flaw 'spots' of the 22a compared to the 22. I've also posted the complete Krogulec entry for this cross.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Interesting cross, unfortunately the literature is silent.
    Similar to poz.. 24 from Krogulec book.
    Maybe it is 24b, however the connector is different, or it is the Białkiewicz production.
    On 100% this is not a modern copy, I know that these crosses were bought by combatants in UK.

edit. I have new information, this is Grupa Techniczna Londyn Cross- metal casting not stamped.
    From late 1944 to post war.

Last edited by Tomek; 06-26-2018 at 04:20 PM.

A few of my Krzyż Walecznych samples in my possession:

Pvt. Roch Kwaśnik - KIA at Monte Cassino, 12 May 1944:

Staff Sgt. Wacław Lepczyński:

A boxed Spink:

And something that looks like a complete fake. It came as a "packaged deal", that's why I have it:

Regards,

Greg

?

Nice crosses, but Boxes Spink is not a Spink. Last one is modern 70/80" cross by Olszewski.
    Nice collection !

?

And mysterious Cross from #356 with ribbons.
    I heard that these ribbons were produced on request by the Polish Government on Exile at the beginning of the Polish Army in England
    Anyone confirm this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

That’s a good question. I have yet to see this ribbon as original issue on any wartime production crosses, and very much doubt it dates to the war years. We know it was made in England, and I believe well after WW2 for replacement use for the veteran market. I would not rule out the possibility that it may be associated with Bialkiewicz.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast