Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hello dastier,

Unfortunately that is not a genuine original issue 1940 cross. The 1940 issue for soldiers of the 2DSP interned in Switzerland is one of the rarest of the exile valour crosses, and consequently one of the most faked. There were only about 700 of these produced by Huguenin Le Locle. If it’s of any consolation, the ribbon bar looks like it may be a genuine British made one.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I suspected as much as I bought it for about $40 USD on an American auction site. I'm a little disappointed with this site as they are are supposed to be reputable but I when received a Polish regimental badge that I had successfully bid on, it it was so obviously fake that I returned it. They did credit my purchase and re listed it as a copy.

However I canceled my bid on 3 other Polish Regimental badges because they all had the same Polish maker's marks on the spinner and I was able to find his web site listing the badges as reproductions. I informed the auction site of my suspicions but when they re listed these 3 there was no mention of copies.

I am very leery now of buying medals from them - preferring to pay the asking price from some one reputable! Cavet Empor!

I will post pics of another Cross of Valour that I know is authentic - my father's.

Thanks for your help!

Very nice Cross of Valour with the date 1940, made by the French company DeLande. Dimensions 47.0 x42, 5 mm. Original ribbon with a double mount in almost perfect condition. Sold today for 1,800 PLN ... alas not to me!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Last edited by StefanM; 06-28-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

My late father-in-law's Cross of Valour, won by him during late 1944 fighting (prior to Feb 18, 1945 when his certificate to carry it was issued) along the Adriatic coast. Measures 44mm across, tip to tip.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Hello Davey and welcome aboard,

Thanks for your post. Nice genuine cross on original issue ribbon Please refer to earlier posts on this thread number 3 and 5 that provide details of this particular variant.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thank you so much Tony for your information and kind words. The certificate issued with the Cross was nr 8658, as seen on the card in my other thread.

There seems to be lots of these issued (10s of thousands) ... any idea what a soldier might have typically done to earn one?

My late father-in-law's Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour)

Any idea if the beret badge shown there is the 13th's, or the ID of the last medal shown (the KRN 1946 one)?

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesHello Gentlemen

I assume that these are Communist versions. I have found reference to the 1943 date but not to the 1939. Were there 39 versions or is this just a fantasy?

Many tanks for your help.

James

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    . . . I assume that these are Communist versions. I have found reference to the 1943 date but not to the 1939. Were there 39 versions or is this just a fantasy?
    Modern copies actually, likely produced within the past decade or so. The 1943 version mimics the Moscow version. There was a 1943 version created by the Polish “Home Army” (AK) underground resistance that had the date manually stamped in (pictured below) to a pre-war pattern cross where the 1920 date was removed.

The 1939 cross was also supposedly produced by the Polish underground resistance prior to 1943 (pictured below). These are unique by virtue of the wz.27 national eagle in the center shield. Very little is known about this version, and there are some that claim it is a fantasy piece.

There was a 1939 dated cross produced in Poland in the mid 1970’s for veterans of the September Campaign. This was a private venture and not officially recognized by the Communist authorities of the time. The cross displays a crowned eagle.

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Many tanks for your help
    I only have room for one, and can you please make it a Polish 7TPjws?

Cheers,
    Tony

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Thanks Tony. As ever very interesting and full answer.
    All the best
    James

?

Just out of interest, I picked this one up thinking it might be a Palestine issue ......
    I've had my doubts over authenticity because of the rough nature of production, ... but then I was lead to believe this is a possible pre war "Unger of Lwow" ..

Any thoughts ..

Gary J.

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast