Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

Default Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Dear friends,

I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine.

What i hope hope to achieve by this post is the following;

An understanding of the background of the award
    A knowledge of production processes how are they made
    The evolution of the KW fom its beginnings with Rozycki to its many variants.
    Pictures and classifications of the many many variants
    How and when they were awarded and for what.
    How to spot a fake or a copy.
    Ribbons

Currently i have the Krogulec book which as a reference source is very confusing. I would really like to be able to classify the Kws from their origins in the First War of Independence tothe medals issued during the Second World War.

I am posting my first picture of a Numbered Rozycki which is on a replacement ribbon. Its ribbon loop has been soldered replaced with one which i believe is from a Knedler. (The dealer forgot to tell me, mmm academics eh)

?

Default re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Robert,
    That's a nice low number !!!

Also noticed that there is no 1920 date on the front of the medal ...
    Not being an expert on KW's, this is the 1st early one I have seen without the 1920 date, ... is this unusual ??

Regards

Gary J.

?

Here is one of the KW's I own ..
    An unnumbered WW2 type. (Which Type I am not sure ??)

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

While this is not the lowest numbered KW I have ever seen, it is the lowest numbered one I have ever owned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

Finally back after 5 days of being unable to log on due to the forum maintenance debacle. Geez –I almost started to feel like a Pole in Exile . . .

Ahhh, the venerable Polish Cross of Valour. One of my first and favorite areas of collecting, and a great place for beginners to start. Supply remains good and at reasonable prices. In my opinion are very much undervalued - so get 'em while you still can. Great idea for a thread Robert!

There are many fascinating variants of this decoration from the pre-war, WW2, post war LWP periods and even the wartime Resistance in Poland. Because of the many types, and to do full justice to the topic in an organized manner, it’s best to have the cross examined in all its variants in the appropriate forum for the period. I’ll start a thread devoted to pre-war types in that section of the forum where we can discuss yours and Ivan’s early Rozycki crosses posted earlier. Let’s devote this forum’s thread to the discussion to the Polish Armed Forces in Exile types.

Starting with:

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Here is one of the KW's I own ..
    An unnumbered WW2 type. (Which Type I am not sure ??)

Gary J.
    Gary, yours is a nice example of one of he “Palestinian” types on what appears to be original issue ribbon, which are distinct in their own right. This particular variant is characterized by a unique elongated suspension ‘connector’, through which the ribbon ring passes, and also the use of a light coloured brass alloy. These crosses were made expressly for awarding to soldiers of the Polish 2nd Corps, supposedly in 1944 and 45.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types  

?

Ivan, ..WOW !!! .. now thats a low number

Tony, thanks for the type identification

Quote by IvanPutski View Post
    While this is not the lowest numbered KW I have ever seen, it is the lowest numbered one I have ever owned.

?

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

My 2nd un-numbered WW2 KW.

Gary J.

truly a beautiful cross, can you clarify for me why they are called Palestinian. Are they made by jewellers in what was Palestine? From my Krogulec book it appears he uses the shield and eagle type to distinguish his KW's i find his method bewildering. Are there very many variants? i have to admit i love this medal but get really frustrated trying to identify them.

The venerable mustang Gary and the venerable Kw what a combination.

Thank you kindly, now i know i have a Palestinian KW on what appears to be an original ribbon. Gary can you clarify the ribbon issue. Similarly when looking at my cross it has a very light patina remiscent of brass or very old chocolate. Pictures have a bit of shadow on them sorry.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    My 2nd un-numbered WW2 KW.

Gary J.
    Gary – that is a fine example of and early Spink & Son, sometimes called the Type 1. It also has the characteristic Spink folded ribbon, which is always nice to see. These ribbons typically came with a pinback fastening mounted to a rectangular plate and sewn into the ribbon. I think I can just see this plate peeking out one side of your cross. The presence of this uniquely folded ribbon also indicates a ‘higher end’ issue which was often accompanied by a Spink presentation case. Does yours have the case? I’ll post some from my collection later.

Nice cross!

T.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast