Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Derbyshire’s High Peak link to the most famous WW2 Battle of Britain fighter squadron

Article about: 303 Squadron is arguably the most famous Battle of Britain Fighter squadron, but their prized trophy is from action over the beautiful rural Derbyshire countryside near to where I live. See

Default Derbyshire’s High Peak link to the most famous WW2 Battle of Britain fighter squadron

303 Squadron is arguably the most famous Battle of Britain Fighter squadron, but their prized trophy is from action over the beautiful rural Derbyshire countryside near to where I live. See my blog for an illustrated account.

Derbyshire’s High Peak link to the most famous WW2 Battle of Britain fighter squadron

Derbyshire’s High Peak link to the most famous WW2 Battle of Britain fighter squadron – PLESZAK

Interesting read, it seemed they flew right over my home town as well. My father told me as a teenager he watched a Heinkel 111 on fire throwing items out to gain height. He came across an MG with ammo etc and took the local bobby to it
    Ben

?

Really interesting account especially for me as I reside in Derby and my father is Polish!! I also remember walking across Kinder Scout and Bleaklow where we came upon the last remaining wreckage of a B17 Bomber ( I think) but never did get to find out what was this story? Regards, Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments - I think you probably mean the B29

RB-29A 44-61999, Higher Shelf Stones, Bleaklow – Peak District Air Accident Research

?

Hi, yes - it was a long time ago during an outward bound school trip back in the early 1980's. There was still part of an engine and bits of the fuselage still present! Thank you for the link. Best regards, Mark