Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.

Article about: Hello guys, I am Always very intrested in personal items and i like them very much, but sometimes you find not enough information for a item. just as I have encountered for these dog tags. T

Default Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.

Hello guys,

I am Always very intrested in personal items and i like them very much, but sometimes you find not enough information for a item.
    just as I have encountered for these dog tags. Therefore, this thread.
    If you have any information or perhaps research-potential to something on the tags, then drop it in this thread !

I post first my types that i have in my collection, and I hope that this thread get completed with your tags and comments guys .
    Best regards, Pieter.

First type, is the type that was used during the French campaign.

Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.

On the next photograph you can see this type of dog tag, photo was taken in Scotland 1940, after the French campaign.

2nd type, is a type witch is come with a small polish resettlement corps grouping.

Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.

3d type,

Pieter, great idea for a thread .

A good starting point is the deciphering of the information stamped into standard Polish issue British pattern dog tags. Here's my father's "green octagon" tag as an example:

A.P = Armia Polska = Polish Army
    1923 = Year of birth
    300 = Registration Number
    III = Army Recruiting Command*
    RZ KAT = Rzymski Katolik (Roman Catholic) - religious affiliation
    ZAWADZKI = surname
    WŁADYSŁAW = Christian name

*Army Recruiting Commands (wartime)
    I = 1st Corps (England)
    II = Polish Air Force (Blackpool)
    III = APW - Polish Army in the East) / 2nd Corps (Italy)
    IV = JWŚW - Jednostki Wojskowej na Środkowym Wschodzie = Polish Army Units in the Middle East (Egypt)

I'll dig out some other examples of Polish WW2 exile forces dog tags for posting later.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Here's an ID bracelet listed recently on a web auction that belonged to a soldier in the 2nd Warsaw Armoured Brigade / Division displaying his name and Army Number:

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

1st Polish Armoured Division historian and forum member ze-pole has requested the posting of these examples from his collection consisting of early French issue and British pattern tags:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.   Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.  

Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.   Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.  

Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.   Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.  

Hello,
    Thank you to Tony for the pictures !
    The detail :
    Marczak : 9th batallion.
    Nowicki : 2 PaMot
    Schroder : 9th Bat.
    Stepowski : 1rst armored regiment (british and french dog tags).
    Zawalski : his french 1940 dog tags, found near Montbard, where took place the battles in 1940 for the 10th Brigade. He was killed in Normandy on 8th august 1944, first day of the fighting for the polish troops in the Pocket of Falaise.
    Cheers.
    ZP

Quote by ze-pole View Post
    Nowicki : 2 PaMot

As an aside, it appears that the brass backing plate for a badge is attached to the green octagon tag. This could very well be from the “SPA” Artillery School badge where officers attended prior to commission with artillery regiments in the 1st Armoured Div. Early versions made by Rattray & Co. Dundee had this same backing plate:

The 2PAMot badge also exists in a version with twin threaded posts, although I don’t recall ever seeing one with this type of backing plate.

Cheers,
    Tony

Many thanx Tony and ze-pole for sharing this pictures!!

It is great to see the difference of engrave in the early 'French campaign' tags. Would somebody know where the 'B' stands for on the early dog tags in the first post? (maybe blood type? just my two cents..)
    Also intresting to see how the registration numbers and army recruiting commands where placed between the religious affiliation on some tags.

For the Nowicki tags; great information, maybe this could be done as a form of proud to the badge inside the unit? Of course difficult to say... Still a very intresting set!!
    Is the plate glued or loose from the tag?

For Zawalski; unfortunate to hear about his history during the war; is he buried in Normandy?

Many thanx and kind regards,
    Pieter.

Hello Pieter,

In answer to your question is Zawalski buried in Normandy, the answer is Yes.

Porucznik Zygfryd Zawalski Service Number: 05266, 2nd Armoured Regiment, awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross, Born on the 26th February 1908 in Zawiercie, Killed in Action on the 8th August 1944.

He is buried in Langannerie War Cemetery in Grave 1-A-1

Porucznik Zygfryd Zawalski

Por. Z Zawalski grave.

Best wishes

Andrzej

This one came into work this week.

See here:

Monte Cassino cross

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dog Tags & ID Bracelets: Types and Information Thread.  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you very much Andrzej, for the information about Porucznik Zygfryd Zawalski!!

I do my very best to visit his grave, together with all his fallen comrades next year on our yearly trip to Normandy in june !

Many thanx!
    Kind regards, Pieter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast