Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges

Article about: Hello everyone! New kid in town! Italian collector of British and Commonwealth WWII militaria speicalizing in the Italian front (1943-1945), owner of some Polish II Korpus badges and accoutr

Default Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges

Hello everyone! New kid in town! Italian collector of British and Commonwealth WWII militaria speicalizing in the Italian front (1943-1945), owner of some Polish II Korpus badges and accoutrements. At due time will be very happy to post a couple of my badged Polish BDs, in the meanwhile I'd like to hear your opinions on a couple of Drugi Korpus breast and collar badges and an embroidered cloth 5 KDP arm badge. In the attached pics the first badge is a 5th KDP badge which smells somehow fishy to me, mainly the spinner, the second one I've always considered to be a genuine article, whether I'm some how puzzled by the embroidered arm badge, of a pattern not often met. The last collar badge is one of the 3rd Karpacki Batalion CKM and the one I've got most doubts about. At due time I'll post a coule of badges that by comparison seem to be the real think, but I'd love to hear your opinions about this one for the moment. Thank you in advance and "wszystkiego najlespzego", all the best, Loupie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges   Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  

Attached Images Attached Images Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges 

Default Re: Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges

Hello!

The 5KDP patch looks OK to me, but i don't like CKM collar badges Can you show better photos?

Best Regards

?

I would personally stay away from that type of 5 KDP patch, unless the look like the one I have attached here below. Patch with so much thread on the reverse are normally seen on reproductions. And yes the 3 DSK CKM badge is no good....

Attached Images Attached Images Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges  Doubts on several Drugi Korpus badges 

Thank you gentlemen for your replies! Yes, I've got several 5 KDP patches of the pattern shown here, but I've seen, at least a couple of times, insignia with thread on the reverse, sewn on tunics that seemed 100% OK. I agree that the 3rd Karpacki Batalion is definitively fishy! What about the first breast badge of the twos? I'm some how worried by the spinner and the lighter shade of the alloy....

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    . . . What about the first breast badge of the twos? I'm some how worried by the spinner and the lighter shade of the alloy....
    The larger cupped spinner is considered to be the original issue type for this particular badge. These were stamped in brass and then silver plated. The one pictured looks rather fresh, as the plating on these quickly wears off the high points. This wear is also typical of the characteristic hemispherical end of the threaded post, which on this badge also looks well preserved. This would suggest an unissued badge, although there is what appears to be wear on the bison on the obverse side. So a bit of a puzzle.

It’s not unusual to find other Lorioli (or even other maker’s) spinners substituted in place of the original ones, such as with your other 5KDP badge pictured.

As far as commenting on the authenticity, it’s difficult to do so from pictures alone. Although I have not yet seen any evidence that these relatively common badges are now being copied.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne