Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Family research

Article about: Hi Kaj, Thanks for your reply, you didnot disappoint me as I said the information apart from the 2nd Corps and 1SBS information, was gleaned from an internet search. To obtain the informatio

Default Family research

Dear members,

I was wondering if someone on this forum has experience with researching their relatives who served in the 2nd Polish Corps and could tell me what the standard procedures and steps are during this research. The relative that I want to research is my great grandfather (Captain Zbigniew Fialkowski). I have collected bits of information in the past years by finding his awards, award documents and little information through talking with family but i'm still missing a complete record of his time during the WW2. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out on this.

Thanks in advance,

Kaj

Default Re: Family research

Quote by Americanheadcharge View Post
    Dear members,

I was wondering if someone on this forum has experience with researching their relatives who served in the 2nd Polish Corps and could tell me what the standard procedures and steps are during this research. The relative that I want to research is my great grandfather (Captain Zbigniew Fialkowski). I have collected bits of information in the past years by finding his awards, award documents and little information through talking with family but i'm still missing a complete record of his time during the WW2. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out on this.

Thanks in advance,

Kaj
    Kaj, hi,

You need to contact the guys at the British MoD address below. BUT they will only give out information to next of kin so you will need to fill out a Kinship Form and pay a fee of UK£25. Once this is done they will send a complete copy of the service file.

Army Personnel Centre

Polish Correspondence Section

Government Buildings

Bourne Avenue

Hayes

Middlesex

UB3 1RS
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 0181-573-3831 FAX 0181-569-2751

You can also contact PISM in London as they keep regimental files of 2PolCorps. If GGfather came out of Siberia as most of 2PolCorps did then contact KARTA who have a database you can search. Also Hoover Institute in US has thousands of personal depositions on file completed by those released from USSR. Many have been translated into English.

Hope this helps... good luck with you research
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hey 4thskorpion,

Thank you so much for the reply. I've read that the PISM wants you personally come to their archive is this true, because that's nearly impossible at this moment. Fialkowski was one of the Poles who escaped to France, so he was not an USSR POW.

Hey 4thskorpion,

Thank you so much for the reply. I've read that the PISM wants you personally come to their archive is this true, because that's nearly impossible at this moment. Fialkowski was one of the Poles who escaped to France, so he was not an USSR POW.
    I would contact the British MoD first, they will have record of Fialkowski's service in Polish forces as they were under British command. The MoD service record may provide more detailed information with which to go back to PISM with a written request—they will reply ... eventually.

PISM doesn't generally undertake family history research as it it mainly staffed by volunteers but in my experience if you have a name, DoB, Polish service history from the MoD they will look up specific regimental information on a serviceman without a personal visit, but be prepared to wait.
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Again, many thanks. I will contact MoD today. Can you give me an average waiting time for MOD service records?

Again, many thanks. I will contact MoD today. Can you give me an average waiting time for MOD service records?
    Once I had sent the MoD the completed Kinship Form and £25 fee I only had to wait about 2 weeks. But I think it depends how many requests they are dealing with at the time. Good luck with the research!

Hi Kaj,

I would be grateful if you would confirm if the attached photograph is in fact your Great Grandfather Kpt. Zbigniew Stefan Fialkowski.

Attachment 385806Family research

If the photograph is in fact your Great Grand Father, I came across it whilst searching the web but the information on the website did not prove to be correct on some points.

The web site stated that Kpt Zbigniew Stefan Fialkowski was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 25563 whilst serving in the 3rd Carpathian Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment,

The Crosses Number points to a serviceman in 5KDP, I also checked the 3rd Carpathian Division list with no joy, I eventually found him listed as a Kapitan serving in the 7 Pulk Artylerii Plot. Lekkiej (part of the 2nd Corps Artillery). He was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 35664, with a date of Birth in 1910, his Army Service Number was: 1910-65-III.

If the attached photo is your Great Grand Father he was also awarded the Polish Parachute Badge Numbered: 0644, although in Kpt Jan Lorys Book he is listed as Porucznik Zbigniew Fijalkowski attached from the 1st Polish Corps.

Also from the internet would I be correct in thinking that Zbigniew was born in Mielec on the 14th November 1910.

I await your reply, if the above information is correct then we can start to work through it.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Yes, thats him (I've the same original photograph at home) and the information you stated is correct. He was born in Mielec on 14th November 1910. I never really understood the Polish parachute Badge, but apparently he took some training as paratrooper and eventually broke his leg during an exercise. The badge number is new to me, I really appreciate the research you did.

Hi again Kaj,

Many thanks for confirming that the Photograph was in fact Kpt Zbigniew Stefan Fialkowski,

Right lets see if we can make any sense from the other information from the web site:

Zbigniew Stefan Fialkowski:

Born in Mielce on 14th November 1910.

Graduated from University in 1929, attended the 6th Officer Cadet artillery course at Wlodzimierz between 1930 to 1931 (though I could find no mention of him in the List of Reserve Officers Yearbook from 1934). 1932 working for the Public Authorities in Rawa Ruska also a member of the L.O.P.P.

In 1938 working for PZL in Mielec also in 1938 he attended a course in Torun for Commanders of Anti Aircraft Artillery.

In 1939 he was commanding the Anti Aircraft Defences of the Airport and Factorys in Mielec, Mobilised on 1st Sept 1939, on the 6th September Officer Commanding Anti Air Craft Artillery Battery at the Lignoza Works in Pustkow. 8th September joined 11DAP captured on the 19th September as was made a POW (The web site does not say who he was captured by). On the 6th March 1940 escaped and made his way to Marseille onboard the Warszawa, he arrived in France on the 17th April 1940.

From the 18th April 1940 to the 17th June 1940 he was posted to the Military Staging area at Carpiagne and also attended an Officers Training course at Pontchateau for Anti Aircraft Artillery. 18th June evacuated to the United Kingdom, posted to Scotland from 20th June 1940 to 16th June 1942, during which time he attended the 4th Brigades Cadet School at Elie from 21st June to 30th June 1940. From September 1941 to June 1942 attached to 1SBS (1st Polish Parachute Brigade) Training Centre for Anti Aircraft Artillery.

16th June 1942 posted to 3KPAP in Palestine, 9th January 1943 to 29th November 1943 Deputy Commander of 1st Bn in Egypt during this time he was attached to 7PAP in Iraq.

4th February 1944 transported to Italy with Polish 2nd Corps,

21st August 1946 to 5th June 1947 based in the UK, 7th June 1947 located at th Polish Demobilzation Camp at La Courtine, discharged from the Polish Army on the 7th October 1947 and returned to Poland on the 24th May 1948.

The web site also states his awards:

Cross of Valour (awarded 15th February 1945)

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 25563 (which we now know is incorrect he was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 35664.

Medal Wojska (Army Medal) Legit Nr: 7293/165 dated 21st November 1946.

Silver Cross of Merit with Swords: Legit Nr:14857, dated 16th September 1947.

1939-1945 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal, 1939-1945 War Medal (all British Awards)

French Croix de Combattant Voluntaire 1939-1945 (awarded in 1947)

Order of Polonia Restitua (awarded on 15th June 1972)

etc.

It also lists his ranks attained as follows:

1931: Officer Cadet

1934: Podporucznik

2nd July 1944: Kapitan.

It also lists Zbigniews death in Krakow on the 18th November 1997.

Thats all that I could find and I hope that it is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Dear Andrzejku,

Thank you for the reply but the information in your last post was allready known to me. Sorry to disappoint you, but now you understand that there are some holes in his record service. Again, i'm very glad with the information about his para badge and Monte Cassino cross.

Best regards,

Kaj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast