Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Father & Son Monte Cassino Group

Article about: I got these in yesterday. I have never seen a group like this before. There is more stuff than I have shown here. It was just a quick last minute photo to put on Twitter before I left work.

Default Father & Son Monte Cassino Group

I got these in yesterday. I have never seen a group like this before. There is more stuff than I have shown here. It was just a quick last minute photo to put on Twitter before I left work.

The photo of the Polish Soldier is one of a comrade.

Their names were Anton and Leon Czech.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Father & Son Monte Cassino Group  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It will not be split up and it will be sold as one group in my next auction on July 25th at Hansons.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello Adrian,

I am glad to hear that it will not be split up, I have done a little bit of investigation for you and have found the following for you, please accept my apologies if you already know the following information :

Using the Rocznik Oficerski Rezerw 1934 I found the following information for Antoni Czech : Pages 56, 552 :

Surname : Czech

Christian Name : Antoni

Date of Birth : 16th October 1900

Fathers Name : Józef

Regiment Serving in as a Reservist Podporucznik in the 77 Pułk Piechoty, he was 665th in seniority from the 1st September 1929.

In the September 1939 Campaign he crossed the Border into Lithuania rather than surrender to the soviets or the germans on the 20th September, until July 1940 he was held with other officers at the soviet POW Camp at Kozielsk then transferred on the 2nd July 1940 to the Camp at Griazowiec until the germans invaded the soviet union in 1941.

He then made his way to join the Anders Army at Tatiszczewo, which he reached on the 3rd September 1941 and rejoined the Polish Army.

In the 2nd Corps he was promoted to Porucznik (Lieutenant) and was posted to the 16 Kompanii Zaopatrywania (16th Transport Company), his Army Number (also found on His ID Tags) : 1900-99-III.

He was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 27968

The only other piece of information that I was able to find was his death in 1986 in Litchfield, Staffordshire.

Adrian can I assume that Antoni's son was Leon Czech born in 1923, if this is correct then his details are as follows :

Surname : Czech

Christian Name : Leon

Fathers Name : Antoni

Date of Birth : 1923

Army Number : (also found on His ID Tags) : 1923-58-III

Unit : 9 Kompania Łączności (2nd Armoured Brigade)

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 31030

The only other piece of information I was able to find was a Marriage in Lichfield, Staffordshire in 1971.

I sincerely hope that the above information is of some use and help to you Adrian

Best wishes

Andrzej

Many thanks for all of this. There is some new info there for me.

The items came from a valuation day I did at the Staffs Regt Museum in Lichfield.

Cheers, Ade.

Going up for sale on July 25th.

Here is what is included:

WW2 Free Polish Army Father & Son Monte Cassino medals, insignia and paperwork group to Antoni Czech (1900 - 1986) and his son, Leon Czech (1923 - ) : Items belonging to Antoni include 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and War Medal, Medal Wojska za Wojne 1939-45, Monte Cassino Cross serial number 27968 with award Legitymacja book, award book listing 1939-45 and Italy Stars, rank star, bronze Polish cap badge, cloth "Poland" shoulder title, plastic 2nd Corps badge, Legitymacja for 2nd Corps badge, 5 Kresowa cloth insignia, ID tags, Soviet ID book, UK ID card, ration cards, Veterans black (West German made) beret with wartime cloth cap badge, military driving licence, Officers Validity card for uniform purchase, wartime photos, postwar colour photo, postcards, 1945 Polish picture book on Cassino, anti Soviet cartoon book "Za Chinskim Murem", etc. Items to Leon Czech include Monte Cassino Cross serial number 31030 with Legitymacja, 2nd Corps breast badge a/f with Legitymacja, Znaku Lacznosci number 8158 with Legitymacja, award booklet only for 39-45 and Italy stars (no medals) cloth 2nd Armoured Brigade insignia, AB64 ID book, Cert of Registration book, Gimnazjum education cert 1943, etc.

for those of us who forget to watch auctions (sorry) could I ask you to tell us the end of the story later in July please?

It's a beauty and I hope it stays together AFTER you've said goodbye

I will keep you posted. I hope it might go to a forum member who will treasure it. Sadly no family left to keep it.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I will keep you posted. I hope it might go to a forum member who will treasure it. Sadly no family left to keep it.
    hi adrian, when you put to auction can you post the link , thanks and good to see you are not splitting it all up

My first chance to give you guys an update. This wonderful group sold for £1,350.

Cheers, Ade.