Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash

Article about: Good day folks I posted this helmet in a German Helmet group on Facebook to confirm that it was a genuine M42 pattern. My post has generated a massive response with people wondering if this

Default German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash

Good day folks

I posted this helmet in a German Helmet group on Facebook to confirm that it was a genuine M42 pattern. My post has generated a massive response with people wondering if this could be a captured helmet used by the Armija Krajowa.

The helmet is definitely a genuine M42 and the paint job, which I had initially dismissed certainly looks old. The liner is also period but you can see that it has been crudely altered presumably to fit the wearer better.

No provenance with it though.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks German M42 Helmet with Red & White flashGerman M42 Helmet with Red & White flashGerman M42 Helmet with Red & White flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash   German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash  

German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash   German M42 Helmet with Red & White flash  

The red and white paint I could live with, however these twin lighting bolts are a liitle too much.... Many AK helmets had Eagles put in the hole next to the painted area. I have not seen anything like it before. It could be for a movie, someone playing around with paint, who knows... it could have been painted in the 1950's and no way to tell now.
    Jacek Kijak in his Book : Polish Helmets shows some painted helmets, but nothing like this example.

In its favour the paint has not been applied recently as the wear/rust shows. But others will be along to advise.

When dealing with Polish Helmets this book is a must read. Mr Kijak knows what He is talking about.

Here are some common markings found on AK helmets in Warsaw Uprising. According to this the colors on "decal" are backwards... Compare #5 with the Helmet in question.

I think post #5 puts a different complex on this helmet.