Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identify my Grandads WW2 medal ribbons

Article about: Hi, Just found this site and looks like a great resource to help me find out more about my grandads history. I cant wait to did deeper and talk with likeminded people and see what I can unco

Default Help identify my Grandads WW2 medal ribbons

Hi,

Just found this site and looks like a great resource to help me find out more about my grandads history. I cant wait to did deeper and talk with likeminded people and see what I can uncover.

Unfortunately, on arrival back into the UK after WW2 most of my grandads possessions, which included his uniform, medal and papers etc were stolen. He was only left with a few scraps of paper, photos and his regimental badge - he was with the 12th Podolian Cavalry Regiment. I recently rediscovered these items and over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to find out as much information as possible about where my grandads served and more about his past.

I have contacted the British army to get his war records and have made some progress, currently trying to get the papers I received translated so I can understand and read the information. Does anyone on here know if its worth contacting Polish offices in Poland for any information they may have on him? Will they have any information that is not held at the British Polish records

Apart from understanding his history I would like to try and replace the medals he had stolen. Through my contact with the MOD I have found out the British medals he was awarded, but I still only know of a few Polish medals. The Polish medals I know of include the Cross of Valour and the Monte Cassino Commemorative Cross.

Would anyone on here be able to help work out any medals he received from a photo I have of him in uniform wearing his medal ribbons? I have tried myself, but have struggled and only have worked out two so far. The photo is not the best quality, but i thought to a trained eye it might be easier?

I hope someone can help, or maybe point me in the right direction. Even better would be if someone could help find out any other ways to get any more information that might be held somewhere on my grandad.

Thanks for any help, look forward to see your replies
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identify my Grandads WW2 medal ribbons   Help identify my Grandads WW2 medal ribbons  

?

Welcome to forum. There are many sleuths and knowledgeable collectors here that will advise you.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Cross of Valour, Monte Cassino Cross, Polish War Medal, 1939-45 Star, Italy Star. as a result of chromatic variations with wartime black and white film/developing etc. colour shades change appearance. a good example of this is the yellow of the WW2 British Royal Airforce roundel. on some black and white photographs the circle appears black.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identify my Grandads WW2 medal ribbons  

Hello justinbadger welcome to the forum.

I gather you obtained your grandfather’s records from APC Polish Historical Disclosures at RAF Northolt? They are a great resource! I don’t believe The Central Military Archives /Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe (CAW) ..:: Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe. EN :: History ::.. will have anything on him if he was in the 2nd Polish Corps. The next place to contact should be The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London (see address below).

Once you sort out his details you might consider posting the them on Kresy-Siberia’s wall of names and database at http://kresy-siberia.org/won

Along with warrelics there’s:

The Kresy-Siberia facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/KresySiberiaGroup/
    And the Polish 2nd Corps facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/38519739600/
    All four groups have members in the same boat as you asking the same questions, very knowledgeable and helpful folks.

Regards
    Chris…..

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum http://www.pism.co.uk/index.html has information on Polish military from all services serving with British forces in Europe. They have no email so you must write to them. Include as much known personal info on your relative as possible for a search IE: first, middle and last name, year of birth, father & mothers name, town, region, Military unit etc. Include a donation of 25 Pounds as they rely on donations to maintain their collection. (no proof of kinship required)

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum
    20 Princes Gate
    London
    SW7 1PT
    England
    Attention Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz

You might post his Mont Cassino Cross number at this warrelics thread Monte Cassino cross . It may have since turned up, you might be able to get it back!?

Chris.....

Hello Justinbadger,

May I also welcome you to the forum, you stated that your Grandfather was in the 12 Podolski Lancers Regiment, but neglected to state his Christian or Surname so that I can check the Monte Cassino Cross Register. If you let me know your Grandfathers details I will look them up for you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum.

Thank you prosty for helping to identify the the medal ribbons for me. The chromatic variations of the B&W photo was the main reason I was struggling. I did manage to work out the Cross of Valour and the Monte Cassino Cross ribbons, but the others were a little tricky.

Thanks you ChrisW01 for all the information. Lots of links for me to search through, really appreciate it. Dont have his Monte Cassino Cross number, I only have his Cross of Valour number. Thanks for letting me know, maybe I could find it out down the line and see if I could find it.

Thanks for the help andrzejku98 my grandfather was named Jan Bobrownicki, if you need any more information let me know?

Thanks again everyone

One more thing.

Although my grandfather was with the 2nd Polish Corps, he also fought with another unit before he was capture and sent to Siberia. Would the Central Military Archives /Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe (CAW) have any information on him before he joined the 2nd Polish Corps?

Quote by justinbadger View Post
    One more thing.

Although my grandfather was with the 2nd Polish Corps, he also fought with another unit before he was capture and sent to Siberia. Would the Central Military Archives /Centralne Archiwum Wojskowe (CAW) have any information on him before he joined the 2nd Polish Corps?
    Depends. If he was an officer yes, if he was an NCO or lower they've few if any records on lower ranks. If you know which unit in 1939 he served with his name might be on list from earlier years like 1937 to 1938 etc.

Hello justinbadger,

Many thanks for your reply, I was able to find the following information on your Grandfather when awarded the Monte Cassino Cross:

Surname: Bobrownicki

Christian Name: Jan

Date of Birth: 1918

Army Number: (also found on His ID Tags): 1918-119-III

Unit: 12PULP

Monte Cassino Cross Number: 2310

By the end of the war your Grandfather was a Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant) with the KW (Cross of Valour) serving with 12PULP

Would I be correct in thinking that he came to the UK and in 1949 married a WALTERS, children Stefania 1951 Teresa 1953.

Your Grandfather died in 2000.

I hope that the above is of some interest.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast