Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Help identifying medal ribbons

Article about: Hello, This is a really long shot but is anyone able to add anything regarding the medal ribbons on this photo of my late father-in-law. He was born 1914 and his British campaign star card d

?

Default Help identifying medal ribbons

Hello,

This is a really long shot but is anyone able to add anything regarding the medal ribbons on this photo of my late father-in-law.

He was born 1914 and his British campaign star card dated 3.12.1945 has him as a Pte, 8th Rifle Battalion, 1st Polish Armoured Division, entitled to the 1939/45 Star and France & Germany Star.

His Alien Order, Certificate of Registration says 'from 12.9.44 was Pte in Rifle Batt. Polish Army'

I think the bottom row starts with the Cross of Valour? Then, maybe?, the 1939 to 1945 Star, the France & Germany Star and the War Medal 1939 to 1945.

No Defence Medal, unless it's on the top row?

(Or is it more likely that this photo is before, or without, the British awards?)

When did they get to know about their awards, and so start wearing the ribbons. Would this have been the December 1945 date, in his case?

Thanks

Hello andyl,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum and thank you for posting the photograph of your late Father in Law.

You are correct in stating that the 2nd Row Medal Ribbons are as follows :

1) Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour 1939-1945)

2) British 1939-1945 Star

3) British France and Germany Star

4) British War Medal 1939-1945.

In the photograph there seems to be a ribbon above the row of ribbons if this so it could only be one of two ribbons

1) Wound Ribbon each silver star denoted a wound

2) Order Virtuti Militari Silver Cross.

If you wish Andy send me a private email through the Forum with your late Father in Laws Name and I will confirm the awards.

Your late Father in Law may have also received the Polish Medal Wojsko (Army Medal).

Best wishes and Welcome once again

Andrzej

?

Thank you Andrzej for your prompt and informative response. I will message you.

Andrew

?

Our quest continues.

We now have his army service record from Northholt and have proudly claimed and received his British medals.

We now plan to return to PISM. We had a most enjoyable and interesting visit to the museum earlier in the year but now we have papers, with dates, we plan to book a slot in the reading room. But what do we ask for? Will there be anyone there to help?

Here’s a couple of snippets relevant to the medal questions I raised.

I think the 5.11.44 entry says: ranny w lewe ramię odszedł do szpit - wounded in the left arm and went to hospital? I wonder if this may have resulted in the Wound Ribbon that is possibly in the battledress photograph.

There’s an entry for his Krzyz Walecznych too. I wonder, though, the significance of the 3.7.45 date. A presentation date maybe, or the date it was recorded in his service record?

I read with interest in the Krzyz Walecznych thread of the many different types of this medal that were issued. Is it known what specific type would have been issued to 1st Armoured Division, 8th Rifle Battalion soldiers at this time (or is that a question for that thread)?

Thanks and best wishes,
    andyl

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for your post, when you get up to the 2nd Floor Reading Room, the Archivist Office is on the left and ask for Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz, to help you search the records of the 8th Rifle Battalion. If Andrzej is busy then ask Jadwiga Kowalska.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Andrzej