Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I am looking for any info about my great uncle and great aunt. Monte Cassino.

Article about: Hello, I am looking for any information (Military/War Records) Tomasz Widelski; Sherman Tank motor mechanic and driver Maria(Marysia) Widelska; Army Signal? This is what I know: my great unc

Default I am looking for any info about my great uncle and great aunt. Monte Cassino.

Hello,

I am looking for any information (Military/War Records)

Tomasz Widelski; Sherman Tank motor mechanic and driver
    Maria(Marysia) Widelska; Army Signal?

This is what I know: my great uncle and great aunt fought at Monte Cassino. I just received very poor quality copy of copy of his framed WW2 badges, awards and sport trophies picture and his Sherman tank pic. from my father. Please find pics below.
    Tomasz was born in Warsaw and Maria in Gleboczek. Probably they got married in Palestine. You can see Monte Cassino Cross below, I wish someday to obtain his Monte Cassino Cross number. Maybe my Great Aunt too. There is only one M.C. Cross on photo
    .Tomasz served at The 6th Armoured Regiment "Dzieci Lwowskich" part of 2nd Warsaw Armoured Brigade. This is what I think because, again you can find Badges below. I would greatly appreciate of any help you can give me. Please, is there any chance to check Monte Cassino Cross recipients list? This is really important for us. Thank you

Kind Regards
    A.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I am looking for any info about my great uncle and great aunt. Monte Cassino.   I am looking for any info about my great uncle and great aunt. Monte Cassino.  

Hello Alex,

With regards to your Great Uncle Plutowny Tomasz Widelski, Born in 1916, Army Nr: (also found on his ID Tags): 1916-165-III, Unit: 6PPanc awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 30939.

There are only 2 Widelski's listed the other being Stefan Widelski Born 1913 served with 9PAC.

I could not find your Great Aunt listed under Widelska, do you know her Maiden Name ?

That's all that I could find at this moment, I hope that it is of some use and help to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Welcome to forum A.S. (Alex?)

Their is mention of your aunt & uncle's marriage in Semper Fidelis Dzieje Pułku 6 Pancernego „Dzieci Lwowskich”. Tomasz was attached to No.2 Squadron (maybe driver mechanic or member of repair section / LAD 'Light Aid Detachment') Sherman M4A2 Tank appears to be named JUNO from No.2 Squadron There are a few more details, can you read Polish?

Chris.......

I am looking for any info about my great uncle and great aunt. Monte Cassino.

From Semper Fidelis Dzieje Pułku 6 Pancernego „Dzieci Lwowskich”. The translation is a bit choppy but readable. Also the mention of 317 Transport Company is in reference to the unit your aunt was a member of. Contact me privately and I can send scans of these two pages. Chris.....

Page 232

Citation 32
    8 XII 1945 in Tel Aviv was born Krystyna Barbra Widelska (daughter of Lance Sergeant Tomasza Widelski).

Page 419

1051. Widelski Wladyslaw Tomasza – plut (Lance Sergeant) motor repairer completed course (29 XI to 11 XII 1943). in the regiment - 2 Squadron., 25 February 1945. entered into a conjunction. marital Maria Kozoswist (r. 1922) willingly. 317 Comp. Transport. 8 XII 1945 r. Was born in Tel Aviv (Palestine) daughter Christina Barbara, after the war remained in exile in the UK. Britain - lived in Leek, no. Reg. No. 1916/165 / III, decorated KW (Krzyż Walecznych = Cross of Valour).

Andrzej and Chris thank you very much!! Really can't express in words.. How thankful I am. I don't think anybody could be happier than I am today. I am so proud.
    Andrzej, I can confirm my Great Aunt maiden name Kozoswist.
    Chris, I can read Polish . I will contact you privately.
    Once again thank you Gents!!

Regards
    A.S
    My name is Aleksander, but friends mostly call me Alex. I don't mind Olek or Alex. Feel free.

Hello Alex,

Many thanks for your response, I'am happy to help, I have checked the Register and found only 1 KOZOSWIST listed that was Saper Jan Kozoswist, Born 1920, Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1920-230-III, Unit: 10 Baon Saperow Korpusu. By chance is he a relation.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hey Alex you're most welcome.
    Will email you in the next day or so with those scans.
    Chris.....

Andrzej and Chris, I greatly appreciate your time and efforts!! Many thanks for help!!

Cheers
    Alex