Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

II Corps - 7th Anti-tank Regiment

Article about: My guess, and its only a guess, would be that some of the soldiers asked the maker to either place a number on their badge, after showing a matching award document or that some additional ba

Default II Corps - 7th Anti-tank Regiment

Hello there

I was hoping somebody would be able to help me out. I found out (with help from the amazing andrzejku98) my Grandfather was in the 7th Anti-tank Regiment. Apart from fighting at Monte Cassino I don't know a lot else about the regiment or the other battles he took part in.

Was the above regiment formed for the purpose of the Monte Cassino Battle, or was it formed way before? I know my Grandfather had been to Russia, the Middle East, Italy, and maybe Egypt and other countries. I would like to trace his journey but of course it is like looking for a certain grain of sand on a beach.

After searching on the internet I found out that the 7th Anti-tank Regiment was number . They were in the Headquarters for the 2nd corps.

If anyone knows any more information about the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment or can help me in my search, I would be most grateful.

Default Re: II Corps - 7th Anti-tank Regiment

Hello,
    More information you may find in Marek Wroński's book titiled "Od śniegów Sybiru do pomarańcz gaju. Dzieje 7 Pułku Artylerii Przeciwpancernej II Korpusu Polskiego 1942-1947". The book was published in London, 1986.
    I hope it will be helpful for you.
    Regards,
    Tom

Thomas the Tank Engine Thank you for the quick reply. By any chance, would that be a Polish book or would it be in English?

Dzieje 7 Pułku Artylerii Przeciwpancernej II Korpusu Polskiego

Sadly I cannot speak Polish, would this be the proper Polish name for the 7th Regiment my Grandfather was in?

I found this book on Amazon. It is titled "Army in Exile, An: Story of the Second Polish Corps" ISBN-10: 0898390435. £33.00

I will keep a look out for the book that your have recommended.

Thank you again

Consequently I found a bit of information on wikipedia, it is in Polish, but I think it states the different types of weaponry the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment used.
    > 7 Pułk Artylerii Przeciwpancernej <

You're welcome. Unfortunately for you, it's in Polish. If you write down some details about your grandpa (or send it in a private message) I can search for information in the book for you.
    Regards,
    Tom

Hi 3342dxcv4, Here's some info on the unit badge for you.

It was officially accepted on Feb. 24, 1947. For unknown reasons production waited until after 1970. It was produced by Warsaw based maker Andrzej Panasiuk. The crescent moon bears the words "Irak - Egipt - Włochy" (Iraq - Egypt - Italy). The lower perimeter of the 8th Army shield has "1942 7 Pułk Art. P.Panc 1947" (1942 7th Anti-tank Artillery Regiment 1947). It is stamped in white metal and measures 33 x 18 mm. The badge borrows many design cues from the 2nd Corps Commemorative badge.

You definitely MUST read General Anders superb book "Army in Exile, The Story of the Second Polish Corps". In my top five all time favorite books. You will gain a new appreciation for this great general, and the incredible story of the Polish 2nd Corps. A history like none other.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture II Corps - 7th Anti-tank Regiment  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Dear Tony,

Thank you so much for your post. I was sure that he mentioned that he went to Iraq too so having that written on the badge validates that. By any chance did you know anybody in the 7th Anti-Tank Regiment?

Well after your strong recommendation for that book it is definitely on my wish list.

Concerning the above badge, would this badge have been issued to the solders to wear on their army tunic or is it a different type of badge. As far as I know my Grandfather does not have this badge but has the Eagle badge which you have as your avatar.

Thank you again

Hi again 3342dxcv4,

No, unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of meeting a former member of this artillery unit.

Quote by 3342dxcv4 View Post
    Concerning the above badge, would this badge have been issued to the solders to wear on their army tunic or is it a different type of badge. . .
    Technically yes. Had the badge been issued shortly following the war, as most of the various unit badges were, it would have been worn on the left breast pocket of the uniform tunic. By the time this badge was issue in the 1970’s uniform wear was limited to special commemorative functions so I suppose this small badge may have been worn on the veteran’s blazer.

If you have the opportunity please post pictures of any of your grandfather’s items such as documents, period photos, or even that eagle badge you mentioned. All of us here would appreciate seeing them.

Lastly, re “An Army in Exile”, after reading this great book you’ll likely have your appetite whetted for other similar accounts. Check out the recommendations in our “Books” thread: Books

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello guys,

I just thought you would want to know that the badge wasn't initially made by Panasiuk, even if he made several reproductions later on. With the upcoming 30th anniversary of the units formation coming up in 1972, veterans in the UK decided to place an order with a polish jeweler so it would be cheaper. Zygmunt Glapa drafted and presented several version of the badge and once everybody agreed on which one to choose, an order was placed with Jacek S. Dudzik a jeweler in Katowice. The initial order was for 350 badges but 300 were made. All the 300 badge were numbered but in addition to the first ones an additional 12 were ordered but without a number. Unfortunately it wasn't ready until December the same year. At that point the veterans association sent out a letter to all members that once the award document is completed that badge would be sold for......£1, including postage fees.

I wonder why the badge is numbered 314 if only 300 were numbered with 12 unnumbered?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I cant believe that they were sold for a pound and that included P&P!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast