Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Info required please

Article about: by 4thskorpion Thanks Gary J & Vic Any idea who the Italian makers were? This is a fascinating little piece of history I’d like to learn more about. The supposed makers were some talente

Default Re: Info required please

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Thanks Gary J & Vic

Any idea who the Italian makers were?
    This is a fascinating little piece of history I’d like to learn more about. The supposed makers were some talented and enterprising Poles who had come across a harmonica factory, perhaps in a town they were involved in liberating. Upon discovering a supply of the celluloid used in harmonica production someone reasoned that it would be ideal to use for making uniform insignia, which was in perpetually short supply for the Poles. As you know, the plastic was crafted into some very attractive badges, cigarette cases, and possibly other items as well.

Again, this snippet of Polish 2nd Corps history is something that begs to be fully investigated. Hopefully one of our members can provide some more information. GFC – are you listening, and can you add anything?

Regards,
    Tony

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    This is a fascinating little piece of history I’d like to learn more about. The supposed makers were some talented and enterprising Poles who had come across a harmonica factory, perhaps in a town they were involved in liberating. Upon discovering a supply of the celluloid used in harmonica production someone reasoned that it would be ideal to use for making uniform insignia, which was in perpetually short supply for the Poles. As you know, the plastic was crafted into some very attractive badges, cigarette cases, and possibly other items as well.

Again, this snippet of Polish 2nd Corps history is something that begs to be fully investigated. Hopefully one of our members can provide some more information. GFC – are you listening, and can you add anything?

Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony !!

I agree ! My father also had ribbon bars made from these celluloid shaped "beads." Each "color" in the ribbon was a plastic "bead" inserted into the mounting. The ribbon mounting itself was a sort of half oval-ish shaped brass encasing.

These type of ribbon bars show up on the market or in collections from time to time.

Vic

Hi Vic,

Yes, I overlooked the mention of the ribbon bars, several of which I have in my collection along with uniform insignia and a cigarette case as well (posted elsewhere on the forum). It is an area of collecting all its own. I also recall once seeing a ring made of this celluloid. I wonder what else may have been made - ??

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2