Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

information

Article about: Hi Joseph, by joseph barrett . . . He received 4 medals Polish- Cross of Valour, Army medal British Italy Star,the war medal 1939-45 . . . I can find the British ones easy but have no idea w

Default information

Can anybody give me any information on these two pictures rough dates and any information from the uniforms. The reason I am asking is for a friend of mine who is trying to find out about his grandfather he thinks the picture with the full polish uniform is a younger version of his grandfather? All he knows about his war time service is he was captured by the Germans and then the Russians or possibly the other way round and he fought in north Africa and at Monte cassino and settled in England at the end of the war but that's it his name was Teodor Gawryluk .
    informationinformation

Default Re: information

Hi Joseph, all I can tell you is I think both photos are certainly of him. The second one shows him in Free Polish Forces uniform with British supplied BD etc. The black beret would indicate he was with an Armoured Regt. With the open collar and wear of the shirt and tie, I would put this as late war or early post war era.

Nice photos, thanks for posting them.

Cheers, Ade.

As Teodor Gawryluk would most likely have received the Monte Cassino Cross for fighting in the battle then maybe member andrzejku98 might be able to find his name in a listing of Cassino medal recipients??? I agree with Ade the black beret and collar pennons of one of the Polish Armoured Regiments. I looked but I could not find Teodor Gawryluk in the 4th "Skorpion" Armoured Regiment listings. Good luck with the research
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks Ade when I first saw the free Pole picture I thought patten 49 battle dress but then I noticed that you can not see the buttons so then I thought patter 47 then 46 but non of them match so I am thinking its been altered? as many soldiers did at that time to look good for the girls.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    As Teodor Gawryluk would most likely have received the Monte Cassino Cross for fighting in the battle then maybe member andrzejku98 might be able to find his name in a listing of Cassino medal recipients??? I agree with Ade the black beret and collar pennons of one of the Polish Armoured Regiments. I looked but I could not find Teodor Gawryluk in the 4th "Skorpion" Armoured Regiment listings. Good luck with the research
    Thanks that is a definite step foreword to find out he was in a armoured regiment.

Hi Joseph, the Poles were very keen on tailoring their Battledress blouses. Often these were heavily altered, especially around the collar and pockets.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Joseph,

I have checked through the recipients of the 2nd Armoured Brigade and came up with only 1 Gawrych Wladyslaw Wachmistrz, so he was not in the Armoured Brigade, I also noticed on the later photograph the ribbon for possibly the Cross of Valour.

When I have more time I will check through the rest, but at the moment I'am busy helping some one else out with a rather puzzling matter,

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Judging by collar pennants on first, earlier photo, he is ułan of either 7 pułk ułanów lubelskich (7th Lublinian Lancers Regiment) or 19 pułk ułanów wołyńskich (19th Volhynian Lancers Regiment). As for being taken prisoner - this could have happened after/during fights for Suchowola around September 24th 1939. Both regiments mentioned above fought there.

The ribbon on second, later photograph, may also be 'odznaka za rany i kontuzje' (badge for wounds and concussions). Compare the stripes of badge - white and amaranthine in case of KW - with collar pennants which should be partly black and partly orange. The badge should be considerably brighter, but does not look like this.

Hope this helps,
    Jung

Thanks Andrzejku and Jung.

We have finally received Teodor Gawryluks military records and there are some surprises, the family history was wrong he wasn't
    In north Africa or at Monte Cassino. He fought in the 1939 September campaign in Poland against the Germans while serving with the No 7 legion regiment and I assume he was captured by the Germans although it doesn't say that as it then jumps to the date 5/4/1942 when he was forcibly conscripted into the German army serving in infantry battalion 682. We then next hear of him being captured by the British 7th Army in France on 22/8/1944. He then voluntarily enlisted in the Polish Army under British command with effect from 30/10/1944 His postings were the
    17 Signals company 2 Polish corps troop base
    9 Signals company Warszawska Armoured Division 2nd Polish corps
    9 signals company renamed 2 Warszawska signal battalion 8th army & light aid detachment type B
    He saw action on the River Senio and the Battle for Bologna Lombardy Plain.
    He received 4 medals
    Polish- Cross of Valour, Army medal
    British Italy Star,the war medal 1939-45
    My friend does not have his grandfathers original medals so has asked me to help him find replacements
    I can find the British ones easy but have no idea with the Polish ones can anyone point me in the right direction
    Also could anyone tell me anything about the German battalion 682 or should I ask in the German section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast