Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Information on polish grandad

Article about: Hi everyone Myself and my sister are trying to find out as much as we can about our Polish grandad who fought in WW2. He was captured by the German soldiers and sent to a POW camp. He spent

?

Default Information on polish grandad

Hi everyone

Myself and my sister are trying to find out as much as we can about our Polish grandad who fought in WW2. He was captured by the German soldiers and sent to a POW camp. He spent 3 years there before he escaped. We have various badges, photos and certificates and also his dog tags. Please could anyone offer any information on some of his items I have posted below. We believe his was in 16 PAC heavy artillery at some point.

We are thinking about requesting records from the MOD (if they have any). Would the number on his dog tag lead us to further information? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Suzanne
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information on polish grandad   Information on polish grandad  

Hello Suzanne,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, I have checked the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross without finding him listed as a Recipient.

Stanisław Jeziorkowski was a Plutonowy (Lance Sergeant) in the 16 Pomorski Light Artillery Regiment of the 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division (expanded from a Brigade to a Division after the end of the war in Europe).

At the Battle of Monte Cassino there were approximately 48,800 Polish Oficers, N.C.O.'s and Other Ranks, by March 1945 this had risen to 56,000 and by the time the Corps was moved to the UK over 110,000.

Your Grandfathers ID Tags do show his Army Number : 1911 (Year of Birth) 206-III.

The other Badge with the Legitymacja is the 2nd Corps Badge awarded to all who served in the Corps.

If you have his AB64 that would show the date that he joined the 2nd Corps.

I have checked the Datebase list of Names of AK Soldiers that fought during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, but could not find him listed, neither could I find him listed on the Kresy-Siberia Wall of Names.

Therefore I would possibly say that he was either a P.O.W. (from the September 1939 Campaign) who made his way to Italy after the end of the war and joined the 2nd Polish Corps.

There is only one way of answering this question, by applying for full copies of his service record held by the British Ministry of Defence, link to the web page is below, unfortunately they do charge for this service and if you do not ask for copies of all the records that they hold, you will receive either a 1 or 2 page letter giving brief information only.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records

Once again Suzanne welcome to the Forum and please let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Thank you so much for the information, we will definitely request his records from the MOD. That would make sense that he made his way to Italy, he did tell us before he died he escaped from the POW camp and joined the french resistance. He lived in the forest for a year before ending up in Italy. I believe he then came to England.

Please would you mind answering another question, we also have the legitymacja below, is there anything you can tell me about this?

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Suzanne
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information on polish grandad  

Hello Suzanne,

On your picture is ID (Legitymacja) for Commemorative Badge of the 6th Heavy Artillery Regiment.

Commemorative Badge of the 6th Heavy Artillery Regiment

Some information about your grandad from Polish Institute of National Remembrance:

If you need English translation let me know.

Regards
    Konrad

?

Thank you so much for the information, we have been searching so hard to try and find this kind of thing. We really do appreciate it. We will work through translating but I can already see mothers and fathers name so that is amazing.

We don't seem to have the commemorative badge so I assume its got lost some where along the way which is a shame as he has kept hold of most things.

This really is a great forum!

Suzanne