Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Polish Paratrooper Wing. Unique? Fantasy? Both?

Article about: Hey everyone, A few months ago, I was able to purchase a Polish paratrooper badge. While I have just begun my Polish militaria collection and didn't know to much about paratrooper badges, I

Default Interesting Polish Paratrooper Wing. Unique? Fantasy? Both?

Hey everyone,

A few months ago, I was able to purchase a Polish paratrooper badge. While I have just begun my Polish militaria collection and didn't know to much about paratrooper badges, I had decided to buy it, as it at worst would be a good repro, and I would be able to learn about these types of badges in the process .

After looking at the 4 or 5 threads which address polish paratrooper badges, I thought that it might not be a bad idea to post it here and see what you guys think.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the badge. As you can see, the feet of the eagle are gold, and the number is irregular, as the only the 1 and 4 are fully struck. Also, the spinner that came with this badge is also odd, as the threading has been completely stripped.

What do you guys think? I hope that I didn't waste your time, and thanks for reading.

Default Re: Interesting Polish Paratrooper Wing. Unique? Fantasy? Both?

Hello!

I don't like this badge....

Best Regards

Hello awmartin,

I’m afraid I have to second Michal’s comments. This badge is mimicking the Kirkwood & Sons version of the badge. It’s missing the tell tale die stamp characteristics of the real badges, not to mention the problem with the serial numbering. Also, there’s the matter of the gold plated talons. And as a side note I’m quite certain that Gr.Tech marked spinners occasionally accompanying these badges were all stamped from brass. This one appears to be one of the cast white metal reproductions.

I’ll await Gary J’s or GFC’s final verdict, but in my opinion this is a decently made copy.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the comments. Just for learning purposes, what do you mean that this is missing the die stamp characteristics? I've taken a close look at Gar J's 2 Kirkwood wings (here), and while the finish/composition of the badges are clearly different, the details from those badges are clearly present here.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

The die stamp marks I was referring to are visible on the reverse side of the badges with no combat wreath. Badges with a combat wreath added have this area ground away. These marks are very characteristic of the Kirkwood badges, and are the first thing I look for when gauging authenticity.

Pictured below are examples to hopefully clarify what I mean. Genuine Kirkwood badges have a very pronounced flat area (as highlighted) before a slight concave dip. The opposite edge sees another ridge.

I must stress that I am no expert on these badges and am making an assumption that all of the Kirkwoods had these same marks. Nonetheless, it has proved as a reliable filter for a simpleton like me to at least narrow down some of the goats from the sheep.

Of course there are other things to watch for, such as the number font type, post type, feathering, etc. etc. Here’s where I’ll hand the reigns over to those with a far more intimate knowledge of this oft reproduced badge.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Polish Paratrooper Wing. Unique? Fantasy? Both?   Interesting Polish Paratrooper Wing. Unique? Fantasy? Both?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

I'm afraid the badge is pure fantasy ..

The "golden" claws was the initial idea to show a combat mission, but was rejected and never used.
    Also, with this wing, the numbering is wrong (The number 1 and number 4 are totally the wrong font), and the spinner looks to be a copy as well ..

Regards

Gary J.

Thanks Tony for the helpful tip, I'm sure that this will be helpful for me and others to look for these die stamp markings on future wings.

Hey Gary, thanks for your input. It's very interesting to hear that this type of design was once considered. I've compared these wings to other reproductions, and this badge is much better quality in regards to the feathers, proportions...etc. Is there any chance that this pair of wings can be some sort of demonstration/prototype model with the numbers signifying that this is 1 of 4 such badges? (I know that it's a long shot)

I really appreciate your thoughts about this.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this post.

Andrew

?

Andrew,
    Unfortunately not.
    The "golden claw" idea was dropped, as it was too indistinct, and also very easy to mimic. (All you would need was some gold paint.)
    The design accepted with the wreath was more in line with the idea of winning your laurels !.

As for numbering,
    The two manufacturers used clear and distinctive types of number stamp, and never wandered from these "types".
    .. This has always been one of the clear cut ways of identifying originals.

Wing copies.
    Some of the copy wings actually used a direct mold of an original badge, and if good enough, the die flaws sometimes were picked up.
    .. Again though, it is a matter of looking for 4 or 5 manufacture distinctions with a badge .... and if any don't confirm to the known, then it's a copy.
    Faults occur with stud types, stud fastenings, thread types on studs, die flaws, numbering fonts, actual metal used, area discolouration due to wrong heat processes .. etc etc.

Regards

Gary J.

Thanks Gary,

Collecting para badges is much more difficult than I had thought, as there are so many different variables to take into account at the same time .... brain overload....

I am happy though that I was able to learn so much in the process thanks to you and Tony.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast