Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Janowa Settlement location

Article about: Hi guys, By any chance does anybody know where the following is or was; Settlement of Janowa, District of Kostopol County of Wołyń I presumed that it was in Poland, but cannot find

Default Janowa Settlement location

Hi guys,

By any chance does anybody know where the following is or was;

Settlement of Janowa, District of Kostopol County of Wołyń

I presumed that it was in Poland, but cannot find any information about it. Only that Kostopol is a city or town in the Ukraine. I am pretty sure that it Janowa is a small village in Poland, maybe in the North East, but I haven't been able to find it on google map.

However, I did come across this website; Wo³yñ - Kostopol The website shows a map in the top left hand corned, of Wołyń. Would this city have been destroyed or renamed?

Hope somebody can help

Steve

p.s. sorry I should have really attached this to my POW thread.
    Last edited by 3342dxcv4; 08-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.

?

Default Re: Janowa Settlement location

I think you will find that the city in modern day Ukraine IS your target.
    These are areas that the Soviets took after WW2 when there was the upheavals of the boarders.

Try "overlaying" the map you have to the modern day "Kostopol" ... as place names have been changed ..

Wikipedia gives the following ...

Looks like Janowa is now the town of Bazaltove

Bazaltove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gary J.

Thumbs up Re: Janowa Settlement location

Thank you very much Gary J. The full name was Janowa Dolina so you are definitely correct. During the Second Polish Republic, Poland would have covered a different amount of land and I didn't know about this.

Poland 1918 to 1939

Modern Poland

So between 1918 and 1939, it was Polish territory until the Russians invaded and took control. In 1941 Nazi Germany attacked the soviets in Janowa and took the area off the Russians. I'm so fortunate that my Grandfather was sent over to Siberia before the Germans took Janowa, as the Germans massacred the people for just being Polish.

?

There is some more .... one of the links in Polish ...

Wo³yñ - Janowa Dolina

Seems to give family names associated with the settlement.

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Janowa Settlement location  

Thank you for the picture and the link. I came across this website, but didn't find the Janowa Dolina section.

Sadly he is not in the list of families but as he moved there in 1939 and left in 1941, maybe he was in temporary housing. Most of the people in the list seems to have been living in Jonowa Dolina for quite some time.

I think this is how it looks now Wo³yñ. They seem to have taken down the buildings (maybe destroyed by the Nazis) and it looks like a building site.