Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Jerusalem Cross .....

Article about: Not sure if this subject falls within this forum's area of interest & research so I'll leave it up to the administrators to judge. I've no problems if this thread needs to be deleted. Th

Question Jerusalem Cross .....

Not sure if this subject falls within this forum's area of interest & research so I'll leave it up to the administrators to judge. I've no problems if this thread needs to be deleted. The attached image is of a Jerusalem Cross purchased by my great uncle in Jerusalem around 1942-43 during his time in 2 Polish Corp, 2 Armored Brigade. It was given to his niece (my mom) in 1947 as a gift. It is my understanding that this was a popular purchase among Polish soldiers touring Jerusalem. Curious if others on this forum had relatives who received or purchased this gift? Also curious as to significance of the manufactures symbols on the back.

Can appreciate if this subject is a little off the mark but it would be great to see examples from others on this forum and maybe decipher the symbols. The style did vary but was very similar.

Regards
    Chris...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jerusalem Cross .....   Jerusalem Cross .....  

Default Re: Jerusalem Cross .....

The symbols on the back are Jerusalem silver(or gold) Hallmarks. Like you said, the Jerusalem Cross has been a Very popular bring-back from Jerusalem for travelers and visitors to the city for a long longgg time now. Some of the crosses can get Extremely decorative and elaborate, but the basic imagery of the large central cross with smaller crosses in between the arms is always pretty much the same. It is sometimes called the Crusader's Cross. Nice piece! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Chris

The photo below shows 2 types of Jerusalem cross belonging to a member of the Womans Auxiliary Forces of 2 Korpus (along with her collar badges, her 2 Korpus breast badge and a pocket statue of the Virgin Mary). This group is discussed more in the thread 318 Kompania Kantyn Polowych i Bibliotek Ruchomych Group below. And on page 441 of Wojciechowski & Sawicki's excellent book there is a picture of a Jerusalem Cross being worn on a beret. I don't know if it was common to wear them on berets but I'm sure that there are experts here who will know.

Nice cross and legit subject for this forum in my humble opinion.

Cheers

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jerusalem Cross .....   Jerusalem Cross .....  

William & James thanks for that.

Guess it's no surprise that along with jewelry there would be religious trinkets as well. Also interesting to see that it was worn with the uniform, was this common?

Chris.........

Hi Chris,

Entirely appropriate discussion, and thanks for starting it.

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    . . . on page 441 of Wojciechowski & Sawicki's excellent book there is a picture of a Jerusalem Cross being worn on a beret. I don't know if it was common to wear them on berets but I'm sure that there are experts here who will know.
    Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    . . .
    Guess it's no surprise that along with jewelry there would be religious trinkets as well. Also interesting to see that it was worn with the uniform, was this common?
    While not common, it was not at all uncommon to see the small Jerusalem Cross mounted to beret / GS caps of the soldiers of the 2nd Corps. It was worn to the left of the eagle, ‘ahead’ of any unit insignia.

Regards,
    Tony

Jerusalem Cross .....  
    Attached Images Attached Images Jerusalem Cross ..... 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony

Look forward to seeing more examples posted.

Chris.........

Tony, I notice your example is numbered. Why was this? Do you know?

Best

James

Hi James, .935 will be silver content. (ie 935 parts silver per 1000)

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ah! of course - silly me. Thanks for clarifying. J