Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

joseph Tyszko, F/O

Article about: Information gained form http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-decs.html The Military Cross was instituted in 1914 as a decoration for the Army, which according to a decree from 1931 may

ccj
    ?

Default Re: joseph Tyszko, F/O

Information gained form http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-decs.html

The Military Cross was instituted in 1914 as a decoration for the Army, which according to a decree from 1931 may be awarded to officers of the rank of Major and below and also to Warrant Officers for gallant and distinguished services in action. It may also be conferred upon officers and warrant officers of the Royal Air Force for gallant service on the ground, as opposed to gallant service whilst flying. The decoration is worn after British Orders, but before war medals. Holders of the cross are entitled to add the letters "M.C." after their name.

Military Cross - 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Air Force Cross is awarded to Officers and Warrant Officers of the Air Force, for an act or acts of valour, courage, in devotion to duty whilst flying, but not in active operations against the enemy. It may also be granted to individuals not belonging to the Air Force (whether Naval, Military, or Civil) who render distinguished service to aviation in actual flying. The holder is entitled to use the letters "A.F.C." after his name; further acts may be rewarded by the award of Bars.

Air Force Cross - 18

ccj
    ?

A face to the man... Thanks to his brother.

I had forgotten about sending his a message on a forum a month ago in which he replied with his email address until cichociemny replied to me thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyszko Jozef 1943.jpg 
Views:	1415 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	82381  
    Last edited by ccj; 02-07-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot to attach pic

ccj
    ?

The photo Zbigniew Tyszko sent of Joseph shows his MC award. Hopefully I'll learn more and possibly see his documents so that we may all learn more of this man.

ccj
    ?

More information coming...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MI9 przesluchanie 1, 7.10.42.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	82403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MI9 przesluchanie 2, 7.10.42.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	82404  

Oh wow. Looks like i was right. A Polish Air Force "escapers' Military Cross. Well my friends this is most rare.
    The combination of awards he recieved now is unique. He is definitly the only Polish pilot who recieved a MC and AFC.

In regards to his Polish tunic, it is not uncommon to see PAF tunics without the Poland titles, when i interviewed a Polish pilot from 304 Sqd and another from 303 Sqd they told me that after 1945 many of them took the Poland titles off as a lot of the British population behaved negatively towards Poles, especially in the northern parts of England.

Glad the contact worked out!

Hi,

I just thought that you might like to know the following information that I have been able to glean about Jozef Piotr Tyszko:

Born: 1919, educated in Poland, joined the PAF in 1940?, commissioned in 1942 given the Service Nr :P1693.

According to records held in the Sikorski Museum his British Military Cross was awarded 1943, whilst in the rank of Podporucznik Pilot.

The recomendation for his Military Cross is available at the National Archives web site for 3.50p.

London Gazette Nr:38427 dated 8th October 1948, Page I.

Flight Lieutenant Short Service (Six years on the Active List and Four years on the Reserve). 1st September 1948: Joseph Tyszko MC (500069)

London Gazette Nr:38700 dated 30th August 1949.

Flight Lieutenant (Permanent) 25th May 1949 Joseph Tyszko MC AFC .

London Gazette Nr:39111 dated 2nd January 1951.

Flight Lieutenant to Squadron Leader Joseph Tyszko 1st January 1951.

London Gazette Nr:38815 dated 17th January 1950. Page 13

Naturalisation. Tyszko Joseph Peter, Poland, Serving Officer in His Majesty's Forces. 12th December 1949.

London Gazette Nr: 40266 dated 27th August 1954 Page 2

Retirement: Squadron Leader Joseph Tyszko MC AFC (500069), (at own request) 30th July 1954.

Why did he retire with such a promissing career ahead of him, the answer can be found in the following:

Aeroplane Directory of British Aviation 1957 on Page: 542.

Tyszko Squadron Leader Joseph Peter MC AFC RAF(Ret'd),
    Chief Test Pilot Airwork Ltd, since 1954.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

ccj
    ?

Yes, great news and his brither has already told me a lot and has sent a few docs and photos.
    I'm excited to day the least...

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    Oh wow. Looks like i was right. A Polish Air Force "escapers' Military Cross. Well my friends this is most rare.
    The combination of awards he recieved now is unique. He is definitly the only Polish pilot who recieved a MC and AFC.

In regards to his Polish tunic, it is not uncommon to see PAF tunics without the Poland titles, when i interviewed a Polish pilot from 304 Sqd and another from 303 Sqd they told me that after 1945 many of them took the Poland titles off as a lot of the British population behaved negatively towards Poles, especially in the northern parts of England.

Glad the contact worked out!

ccj
    ?

Yes, this is great information to add. I was told by his brother he was killed in a flying accident in 1965
    Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hi,

I just thought that you might like to know the following information that I have been able to glean about Jozef Piotr Tyszko:

Born: 1919, educated in Poland, joined the PAF in 1940?, commissioned in 1942 given the Service Nr :P1693.

According to records held in the Sikorski Museum his British Military Cross was awarded 1943, whilst in the rank of Podporucznik Pilot.

The recomendation for his Military Cross is available at the National Archives web site for 3.50p.

London Gazette Nr:38427 dated 8th October 1948, Page I.

Flight Lieutenant Short Service (Six years on the Active List and Four years on the Reserve). 1st September 1948: Joseph Tyszko MC (500069)

London Gazette Nr:38700 dated 30th August 1949.

Flight Lieutenant (Permanent) 25th May 1949 Joseph Tyszko MC AFC .

London Gazette Nr:39111 dated 2nd January 1951.

Flight Lieutenant to Squadron Leader Joseph Tyszko 1st January 1951.

London Gazette Nr:38815 dated 17th January 1950. Page 13

Naturalisation. Tyszko Joseph Peter, Poland, Serving Officer in His Majesty's Forces. 12th December 1949.

London Gazette Nr: 40266 dated 27th August 1954 Page 2

Retirement: Squadron Leader Joseph Tyszko MC AFC (500069), (at own request) 30th July 1954.

Why did he retire with such a promissing career ahead of him, the answer can be found in the following:

Aeroplane Directory of British Aviation 1957 on Page: 542.

Tyszko Squadron Leader Joseph Peter MC AFC RAF(Ret'd),
    Chief Test Pilot Airwork Ltd, since 1954.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

ccj
    ?

More photos sent to me by Zbigniew Tyszko

Name:	Tyszko_Jozek_i_Cessna_1964.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	82544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ribbons2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	82545  

Attached Images Attached Images  

ccj
    ?

Documents

Name:	AFC 17.06.1948.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	82907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckingham.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	82908  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squadron Leader nominacja King Georg.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	82909  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast