Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Article about: Beautiful displays, you have just raised the level of display quality. For me it is going back to make maybe new display. I love your 2KW, and VM.

Default Re: Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Hello again,

Next up is my V-class Virtuti Militari display frame. As most know, the Order of Virtuti Militari is Poland’s highest military decoration and is awarded in five classes for heroism in the face of the enemy or to commanders for leadership in military operations.

The centerpiece is the award diploma to Polish General Edmund Hauser issued for his contribution to the victory over the Bolsheviks in 1920. This is surrounded by twelve various types of the decoration including official pre-war government issues, pre-war jewelers ‘replacement’ issues, and others. Because of military regulations stipulating the wearing of the Virtuti Militari at all times when in uniform, most recipients would commission one or more ‘jeweler’s copies’ for daily wear and leave the official issue cross stored away for safekeeping. In most cases, the copies were made to a higher quality than the official government issue. Two examples of this are the beautifully crafted examples by Jan Knedler and Wincenty Wabia-Wabinski (pictures also posted below; the Wabia-Wabinski in rare pre-war case). And nowadays these replacement crosses aare as sought after the the official issues.

The construction of the display was quite simple. The crosses were suspended from genuine French-style ‘parade bars’ (adopted by the Poles for display of decorations on uniforms until being phased out in 1929) to give it a nice look of authenticity. For the backing mat board I conjured up the idea of used the blue with black stripe Virtuti Militari ribbon motif, which worked very well. As with all my matting projects involving documents I use only non-acidic product.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

3mk
    ?

Great!Thats the most Virtuti Militaris ive seen in one collection

Beautifully displayed too.

Cheers, Ade.

DaveC
    ?

Ha ha!! Great minds think alike! I've been watching this one for 3 days now. I'm waiting for Saturday morning to see if I can out-bid them. Thanks for the tip!!

Many thanks for your kind comments guys. One small thing I forgot to mention was that I chose to display the reverse faces of the four crosses in the middle tier. This was to show the hallmarks for three of the silver crosses, and the stamped serial number for the remaining official government issue cross.

Quote by DaveC View Post
    . . . I've been watching this one for 3 days now. I'm waiting for Saturday morning to see if I can out-bid them. . .
    A good badge. Let’s hope the price stays reasonable! Small point to make is that F.M. Lorioli spinner is incorrect for this badge. The 2nd Corps “Syrenka’ badges were made by Societa Italiana per l’Arte della Medaglia – Roma, and the original spinner is unmarked. But not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Good luck with the auction!

T.

DaveC
    ?

History on these articles aren't wasted on me. I enjoy knowing the history on them. This is most likely why my older daughter calls me her "walking talking encyclopedia" I've also purchased the Signal Corps Badge Poland Polish Army Signal Corps Officer badge - (eBay.ca item 260379172838 end time 22-Mar-09 14:00:16 EDT)

Let's see how this goes. I had to file a PayPal claim against him for the Monte Cassino Cross I tried to purchase previously. He wrote the wrong postal code, and made a stink. I know these things happen, but it took an intervention for the refund. I hope this one goes better...

3mk
    ?

Dave great purchase of the signal corps badge i hope you win the the other badge to!

-Emil

Oh and Tony do you know where i can buy those french pins?

Quote by DaveC View Post
    . . . I've also purchased the Signal Corps Badge . . . Let's see how this goes. I had to file a PayPal claim against him for the Monte Cassino Cross I tried to purchase previously. He wrote the wrong postal code, and made a stink. I know these things happen,...
    Dave, sorry to hear about your ebay grief. Please believe me, I’ve got a few stories of my own . . .

Attached below is a picture of an ‘original equipment’ spinner for the 2nd Corps badge.

That Signal Corps badge your purchased is a very realistic looking replica. A perfect low cost way of filling the vacancy in your display project considering your time constraints to complete the project for your father.

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Oh and Tony do you know where i can buy those french pins?
    Sorry, I don’t. You just have to keep your eyes open for when they pop up. Most of mine were purchased off Allegro in Poland in years past when they used to be cheap and plentiful. I’d pick them up whenever I spotted them, and once managed to get a lot of a dozen for about 5 bucks each. In recent years I’ve seen these sell for $50 or more each. A sign of the times. I suggest that you keep an eye out on French ebay as these are originally a French method of suspending decorations that was adopted by the Poles. As mentioned previously, this was the standard used during the first decade of the 2nd Republic until the advent of thread loops and the “hook and eye” ribbon in 1929.

You can actually make up realistic ‘replicas’ by using coat hanger wire and pre-drilled beads available at craft stores. Paint them silver or brass and they work fine. I used to use these years ago before acquiring the real thing. See below for an example of one I made back in prehistoric times . . .

Cheers,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets see your Polish Militaria Display! 

Next up is a display frame for the Polish Army Medal for War of 1939-1945. Shown are the three main types – The Swiss, French and British - along with the ‘deluxe’ version of the award document and other ancillary items – miniatures, ribbon bar, and an original envelope packet that these were issued in.

As I often do, the frame was ‘made to order’. I pick up old frames at thrift shops for a buck or two and then off to the workshop where they’re cut down to the correct size, refinish as required, convert to shadow box, and bingo – ready to move on to the next step. The nice thing about these old frames aside from the price is that they are often made of a very good quality hardwood. I think this one is teak.

I added a bit of the correct pattern ribbon onto a khaki army green mat board to create an appropriate backdrop, then ‘wire and fishing line’ the decorations into place, use some acid free clear photo corners to hold the award document, print an info label onto parchment paper which is then glued onto black mat board and in turn is held in place with dual sided adhesive tape, and the job’s done.

Best,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

?

Tony !!!
    What can I say !!!
    Awe inspiring !
    .. Excellent displays .. excellent dedication !

Gary J.

Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast