Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Article about: Beautiful displays, you have just raised the level of display quality. For me it is going back to make maybe new display. I love your 2KW, and VM.

Default Re: Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Piwo, Love the 2nd Corps cigarette case. An interesting ‘variation on a theme’. Never seen one quite like that.

And I see a rare 1st Armoured Div Educational Corps patch hiding in there amongst the items in your first picture. Hard to find insignia.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Ok, I dug through things a bit and have this to share.

Piwo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

?

Ok, this is for Gary and George

ISBS

sto lat,

Piwo

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

?

Gentlemen,

I really enjoy seeing attributable trench art. I have been very fortunate in my collecting to find some absolutely brilliant pieces. I shall share some now and in the future. Sadly, I do not routinely display my collection as some of you do so nicely.

I do publicly share y collection by displaying it at the John Paul II Polish-American center in Cleveland, Ohio.

Here is a beautiful piece that came with the badge, cap eagle and legitymacja for a member of the Ist Kadre Rifle Brigade. I know quite a few members of this unit went on to form the core of the First Independent Polish Parachute Brigade. I never did research this soldier....Gary..please look into this matter if you will.....

The shield is hammered copper with two hand cut aluminum inserts. The front one with the flags is painted and the rear one, which I removed to display,is engraved and is a masterful work of craftsmanship and artistry.

Enjoy,

Piwo

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

?

there was a Tadeusz Stocki that was a para, but am afraid no Marian Stocki
    cheers

Piwo2, some great stuff there, how much would you say have spent to date and what sort of places did you pic up these items? I have always been slightly worried about the Trench art thing since i have seen a many fakes around.....

Pivo
    You should consider yourself fortunate!
    I have to say – I have seen a few things myself – but some of the items are top.

If You can – please post the pictures of PSZ eagles (avers / revers) the Eagles Sub Forum – there are some great ones in your collection.
    Interestingly – in the set of 1 Karowa there is a “symmetric Spink Eagle” – together with the badge / id given in 42 this could be a “circumstantial evidence” as to approximate date of production of that variant.

?

I started collecting books long before I ever found any actual Polish militaria to buy. While my grandparents emigrated from Poland before WWI and my parents attended Polish Catholic school we did not speak Polish at home. I was raised American. Being a history buff I knew the Poles aprticipated in WWII but the American history books never covered anything. I recall my fist encounter with a Second Corps vet who spoke to me about Poland's struggles during and after the war.. ....his eyes still swelled with tears in and this was in the early 1980's we he spoke of it.....he shook his head in disbelief when I did not know my Polish history.

I sort of understood that Polish pilots in the battle of Britain made a good show of things.

It was only when I visited England in 1992 that I visited the Imperial War Museum in London and the RAF Museum and saw the mannequin of a Polish pilot and all the beautiful PAF regimental crests on the wall that I understand what Poland had contributed to war effort. What really opened myeyes was a military tattoo that was taking place in Portsmouth June, 1992........something called Operation Overlord........

Here is where I first observed WWII re-enactors..........WOW! hundreds of original vehicles and even more re-enactors. I umped into an Werhmacht officer with two enlisted men...I though I had met Darth Vader in person.and with a heavy English accent he begged his pardon......Ok the hell was that all about German soldier English accent....
    With all the vendors I started asking about Polish stuff. Each vendor smae question" DO you have anything Polish?" No sorry mate......finally a vendor said " Ouy! Les this blokes looking for Polish" Les came out of the stall and asked...First Corps? Polish Para? Second Corps? Navy Carpathanian Rifle Brigade..what unit you looking for???

I replied "I don't know the difference!" Do you have Rosignollis Book on the Itlaina Campaign? No...well then you need to get it straight away." He took me to a book vendor and introduced me to the vendor and as a friend of his and that I needed a copy of The Allied Forces in Italy 1943-45 by Guildo Rossignoli" He negotiated the price and now I had pictures.........loads of color plates and dozens of pictures of WWII Polish Exile Forces and all of the insignia!!!.......That was Les he still does 45 Recce in England.

Many years later after the internet came into its own I was on a chat board and Les and I re-acqaunaited ourselves. This June that trip will have been 20 years ago. After Les gave me a shove in the right direction I searched military magazines, gun shows, Manions Auction. Bookstores and model shops became an unbelievable resource........in Skokie, Illinois was one of the greatest.....Articles of War.
    While visiting friend in Chicago I went there.....left a few hundred dollars lighter......there I met George Cholewczynski, Major General Sosabowski, The Polish War Museum in Warsaw and Guido Rossignoli......I'd made new friends that day.

But the most important lesson in collecting was what I learned in Toledo, Ohio at a local military collecting club. I had the great fortune to have met Terry Bart and Martin Bogue.....two men who were of Polish ancestry and were serious scholars of Polish history. They had a huge display and loads of original exile forces insignia for sale.
    I visited with them all afternoon....they wouldn't sell a me thing......just more books......they said....."see you at the next show..... figure out by then what branch of service or division you want to speacialize in" Hell, I wanted it all!

Both men left me with the best collecting advice I can possibly share:

Terry told me " if the dealer has to tell you a story to convince of its authenticity.....you can't afford it!

Marty added " when I started collecting I bought metal, then I bought cloth...now I only buy paper.......paper tells a story......helmets can't talk, rifles can't talk, uniforms don't talk....give me a photo album, letters home, dogtags, newspapers....documents.....now that's history!"

After awhile, I understood what those men were saying. While I do not read or write Polish..I learned what it was I was looking at.

To, date I have never accepted nor asked to buy anything from a Polish vet or their family.....only asked for their story. Later, I'll share some of my finds and how I found them and the people I met along the way.

Some collectors hoard their knowledge and collections..the greatest joy I have derived from my collecting hobby is sharing...like we are all doing here now.

The highest accolade/honor I have received was to be invited to speak and Ohio State University Department of Eastern European Studies Polish symposium. I spoke on Poland's contributions and sacrifices during WWII. It was myself, two Phd's in history and a cultural attache from the Polish Embassy in Washington, DC.

Hell, I never even graduated from college much less have a Phd in history.

The greatest joy is when I exhibit my collection and vets and their families come up and share their experiences with me...............seeing their eyes well up and tell e how wonderful it is to know that they have not been forgotten.

We are all historians........just don't keep it a secret. Share!

sto lat,

Piwo

?

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

A few more groupings to share.

Piwo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

Hello!

Can you show better photos 12 Kompania Geograficza and Szkola Topografow badges?

Best Regards
    Michal

Page 52 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 ... LastLast