Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast

Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Article about: Beautiful displays, you have just raised the level of display quality. For me it is going back to make maybe new display. I love your 2KW, and VM.

Default Re: Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!

Good day Gentlemen

Here is a small contribution from my collection.

Some cap eagles that I have collected along the way. Not my main area of interest so it is very possible that there are some copies/fakes amongst them and would I be right in thinking that the big ones in the bottom line are pre-war?

And a nice 2 Baon Komandosow group that belonged to Strz Hauzerowicz. He is the photo on the left. I don't know the name of his friend on the right. I particularly like the matching commando sleeve badges. You may notice that the 2 Armoured badge has a green backing and each of the badges has a metal backing made from a sweet tin. Also you can see that there is a good selection of really good quality bullion badges amongst them too. I guess these are all post war. I'd love to get hold of a metal commando breast badge to go with the group.

Comments always welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!   Lets see your Polish Militaria Display!  

James
    I can only make 1 comment - congratulations o Collection of Eagles and 2-Com sets.
    If You can please post the Picture of Eagles on the Eagles thread - this will add the gravitas to what we already have there.

Congrats again!

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Good day Gentlemen

Here is a small contribution from my collection.

Some cap eagles that I have collected along the way. Not my main area of interest so it is very possible that there are some copies/fakes amongst them and would I be right in thinking that the big ones in the bottom line are pre-war?

And a nice 2 Baon Komandosow group that belonged to Strz Hauzerowicz. He is the photo on the left. I don't know the name of his friend on the right. I particularly like the matching commando sleeve badges. You may notice that the 2 Armoured badge has a green backing and each of the badges has a metal backing made from a sweet tin. Also you can see that there is a good selection of really good quality bullion badges amongst them too. I guess these are all post war. I'd love to get hold of a metal commando breast badge to go with the group.

Comments always welcome

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    Marty added " when I started collecting I bought metal, then I bought cloth...now I only buy paper.......paper tells a story......helmets can't talk, rifles can't talk, uniforms don't talk....give me a photo album, letters home, dogtags, newspapers....documents.....now that's history!"

We are all historians........just don't keep it a secret. Share!
    I've been reading this thread with some degree of interest, but haven't posted before. But reading through Piwo's post made me smile, especially the above quote.

Most of my Polish militaria collection is tied up in boxes (and dusty ones at that) containing a stash of my grandfather's wartime papers. I've got things like requisition slips for underwear, a testimony by a sergeant about how he had to leave behind a typewriter during the evacuation from france in 1940, a thick roll of newspapers, some red cross stuff, postcards etc.

I've only recently come across this stuff and it's damned fascinating. I don't think it's been touched since the end of the war as I know dad never looked at any of it, much less knew about what was in it. My Polish isn't great, but I'm getting by.

Where I'm getting my kicks from is matching items to events that I know took place - it puts such a wonderful personal perspective on things.

Quote by Reynard View Post
    I've been reading this thread with some degree of interest, but haven't posted before. But reading through Piwo's post made me smile, especially the above quote.
    Hi Reynard lucky you. When you have a moment could you post photos of some of the items or groups of items that really grab you.

Many thanks - great find

James

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    Hi Reynard lucky you. When you have a moment could you post photos of some of the items or groups of items that really grab you.

Many thanks - great find

James
    I've only just begun sorting the stuff out, putting documents in chronological order, rounding up photographs and such. I think it will keep me busy (and entertained) for quite a while. But here are a few photographs for starters:

My grandfather (Artur Maruszewski) on promotion to Colonel in 1932

In Scotland. Grandfather is on the right.

Again in Scotland. Grandfather is in the middle this time. I think this photo and the one above were taken in late 1940 / early 1941 when he was the officer responsible for some of the camps the Polish army was quartered in. I know one of them was in Biggar.

And lastly, a couple of interesting items. The first is a written order on behalf of General Chateignon, the French officer who was, I think, the head of the Franco-Polish mission in 1940, ordering my grandfather, the commander of the Polish camp at St Loup, to evacuate from Airvault on the 19th June with 3 junior officers and 2 men from the ranks and report to La Rochelle. The second is a bracelet that was given to him while he served in the KOP in Czortkow - the handwritten bit is what is inscribed on the back of the KOP insignia.

Hope you all find this stuff intriguing.

Bests,

Witty.

Quote by Reynard View Post
    . . . Hope you all find this stuff intriguing.
    Yeah, I guess maybe just a little bit . . .

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Dear Reynard,

I am so glad to have shared with you and all the others who follow this forum.

Your memories will become ours as you share them.

Hopefully, others will share..and then no one will ever forget.

thank you,
    Piwo

Intetesting is as interesting does... And hopefully sharing helps plug some holes... I know some of you gentlemen have already helped me immensely, so it's only fair. Here's a few more bits and pieces that I had to hand...

The first is some insignia - I know one is a Colonel's rank insignia, I suspect from a pre-1939 uniform but don't know what the other badge is. Unfortunately they're rather moth-eaten...

The next are three photos. One is my grandfather (left) and Dr Thomas, the head of the UK Co-operative society; I know grandfather was involved in the co-operative movement in Poland.

Next is grandfather (right) with my dad Wojciech (left) and uncle Janusz (middle).

Lastly, a photo from 1919. The officers, bottom row l-r are Edward Sztark (my grandmother's younger brother who was killed at Katyn), Juliusz Ulrych (my grandmother's cousin) & grandfather. Top row l-r are Daniel Sztark and Emil Sztark (my grandmother's younger half brothers).

Bests,

Witty.

Fantastic Reynard. What a wonderful collection and great that you now have the time and desire to share and find out more.

Thanks for sharing

James

Hello!

"The second badge" patch is pre war school uniform sleeve patch. 781 is number of school. I saw two variants of them, red and blue, i don' know what colours mean.

Best Reagards
    Michal

Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 ... LastLast