Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for confirmation of Virtuti Militari .....

Article about: Thanks Tom.

Default Looking for confirmation of Virtuti Militari .....

Good day. Would anyone be able to confirm for a friend of mine if his father recieved the Virtuti Militari, and if there is a citation for it? His name is Pawel Dernowski, he was a Lieutenant in the Regiment of Carpathian Lancers in Italy. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.......

Default Re: Looking for confirmation of Virtuti Militari .....

Hi Chris,

I have gone through both Professor Wesolowski's & Dr Andrzej Suchitz's Books on the recipients of the Virtuti Militari with out any luck.

I have looked through the Regiments list, and have found him but unfortunately he is not listed as an Officer at Monte Cassino, but as a Starszy Ulan equivalent to a Lance Corporal.

Can I assume that Pawel Dernowski's date of Birth was 1921, his Army Number being 1921/5/III.

I have also gone through the Regimental History of the Carpathian Lancers Regiment, only to find that he was awarded the Krzyz Walecznych (Cross of Valour) and his Rank is listed as Starszy Ulan.

Chris, I 'am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, break it gently to your friend.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

p.s. If you friend requires further information on his fathers service with the Polish 2nd Corps, he should write to the Ministry of Defence (Polish Section) who would be able to confirm his service record whilst serving under British Command.

Thanks very much Andrzejku and no worries that clears a few things up. His son will be sending a request to to MOD and PISM at some point, I'm helping him get pointed in the right direction. Part of the mix up regarding his decoration is an Italian article about him from the 80's that said he received the VM, I have attached the picture from that article. His son will try to take photos of his decorations.

Also from Janusz Stankiewicz. Genealogia, przodkowie, badania genealogiczne, forum dyskusyjne I found the following:

DERNOWSKI Paweł 1921/5 sto ul. p. ul. karp.

Please correct me, I'm not sure of all the abbrivations, this is what I came up with:
    sto. - st.ognm - starszy ogniomistrz - an artillery rank(sergeant-major)
    ul. - Ulan - (Lancer)
    p. - por. -porucznik (Lieutenant)
    ul. - Ulan - (Lancer)
    karp. - Carpathian

Can anyone identify other medals? I recognise a few. I see now how they might have mixed up the KW with VM.

Thanks for your patience
    Chris............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for confirmation of Virtuti Militari .....  
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 05-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Hi Chris,

The photograph shows Pawel wearing the Independent Carpathian Brigade Badge above his medals the reverse of the Badge carries a unique 4 digit number with the silver mark 800 above the numbers. Pawel's son would be able to obtain his fathers Brigade Service Number as well has the date of the award, from the Carpathian Division Association.

Pawel's Medals are as follows from left to right, Polish Cross of Valour, British Italy Star, British 1939-1945 Star, Polish Monte Cassino Cross, British Africa Star, British 1939-1945 War Medal, British Defence Medal. the last two medals are hard to make out but from lokking at the next medal in lines suspension ring I would guess that it is the Polish Army Medal leaving the last medal the Polish 25th Anniversary Medal for the Battle of Monte Cassino.

Pawel's beret shows the Polish Army Cap Badge with the felt pennon and Palmtree and Crescent moon Badge of the Carpathian Lancers Regiment.

The rank is shown for a Porucznik/ Lieutenant, the Regimental History shows Pawel ending the war as a Lance Corporal but it was not unknown to be promoted to a higher rank right upto the 1990's by the government in exile. I have a Monte Cassino group to a Sergeant who by the 1970's when he applied for the 5th Kresowa Division Medal on the diploma he had been promoted to an officer.

That would explain why your friend thought that he had been an officer during the war.

Anyway I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Thanks for that Andrzejku, it clears things up quite a bit! Could I trouble you to send me through private email the contact information for the 'Carpathian Division Association' as well as a scan of the info on Pawel from the history? I would like to forward it to his son George.

Much appreciated and thanks again
    Chris..........

Hi Chris,

I have listed below some of the contact details which you might like to try:

SPK. Polish Ex-Combatants Association
    238-246 King Street
    Hammersmith
    London
    W6-0RF

Federation of Polish Armed Forces Association
    240 King Street
    Hammersmith
    London
    W6-0RF

Zwiazek Karpatczykow
    3 Dywizji Strzelcow Karpackich
    51 Cucoo Dene,
    London
    W7-3DT

Torbrukczycy- Zwiazek.b. Zolnierzy Samodzielnej Brygady Strzelcow Karpackich
    Former Soldiers of the Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade Association
    40 Colebrook Avenue
    London
    W13-8JY

One of the above should be able to help you with some information on Pawel.

Unfortunately may scanners not working at the moment but I have listed below the page number from the Regimental History and the details of the entry for Pawel Dernowski.

Wykaz Zolnierzy Pulku Ulanow Karpackich

Dernowski Pawel, st. ul., K.W.

Page 478

I wish you all the best with your quest Chris

Andrzejku

Thanks Andrzejku !

One question, is the address for '3 Dywizji Strzelcow Karpackich' the most current? I found one for '21 Noel Road, London W3 0JD' did they move to the new address below?

Zwiazek Karpatczykow
    3 Dywizji Strzelcow Karpackich
    51 Cucoo Dene,
    London
    W7-3DT

Chris............

Hi Chris,

21 Noel Road was an address I used over 20 years ago, I couldnot find them on any London Listing. You could try Noel Road as well, sorry that I cannot help you further with your request Chris.

Hi guys,
    The 51 Cuckoo Dene address is the appropriate one. At least it was in April for sure. As far as I know, unfortunately "Tobrukczycy Związek..." no longer functions but few SBSK vets are thankfully still among us.

Regards,
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast