Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Merit Cross?

Article about: Have I identified this correctly as a Cross of Merit, Gold grade? And can anyone date this for me please? Thanks in advance.

?

Default Merit Cross?

Have I identified this correctly as a Cross of Merit, Gold grade?
    And can anyone date this for me please?

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Merit Cross?   Merit Cross?  

Default Re: Merit Cross?

Hi Eric,

Yes, your identification is correct – 1st Class Cross of Merit. I don’t have my reference materials with me at present so cannot pin down when this one dates from. But off the cuff looks like a pre-war made example. I’ll strive to confirm this later.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks for the help, Tony.

Hi again Eric,

After looking through my archived pics it appears that this is a post war “Bierut” type with the cut out rays. Definitely not a common variant as most post war Merit crosses did not have the manual cutting between the rays and the arms of the cross. This is one of the scarcely seen exceptions. Not as desirable as pre-war or those made for the exile armed forced during WW2, but still of considerable interest to collectors of the communist era decorations.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Thanks again, Tony. I appreciate the help.

Hi what do you think about that Cross of Merit miniature. What are the stamps? What is the date?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Merit Cross?   Merit Cross?  

Merit Cross?   Merit Cross?  

Merit Cross?  

Hi, here is gold Cross of Merit, with silver suspension pin. The stamp say Spink London SILVER.Did all gold Cross of Merit where stamp Spink London SILVER?

Hi here is one more Merit Cross silver. Strangely it dose not have silver stamp, only Spink London, and suspension pin is plastic.

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Hi what do you think about that Cross of Merit miniature. What are the stamps? What is the date?
    Hi Mariusz,

The miniature Cross of Merit is a genuine pre-war piece. The maker initials "WM" are not familiar. With that maker's mark it's obvious that the Panasiuk marked spinner is not original. The pre-war Polish silver proof marks with the "2" indicates .875 silver purity. If I am not mistaken, the "W" stands for Warsaw.

Regards,
    Tony

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    Hi, here is gold Cross of Merit, with silver suspension pin. The stamp say Spink London SILVER.Did all gold Cross of Merit where stamp Spink London SILVER?
    Hi Mariusz,

At risk of sounding like those that held up Piltdown Man as one of our ancestors, this is an interesting ‘transitional form’. And just like archaeology itself, this is less science and more digging in the dirt to come up with reasonable theories. Theories that may never be proven, and probably more like to be disproven. In any event, for what it’s worth this cross has the characteristic Spink ribbon fold of earlier production decorations, and yet has the later style pinback clasp.

It is obviously genuine, but when exactly was it made? Could this be ‘the missing link’ between wartime and QEII era production??!

Regards,
    Tony

PS I’ll comment on Spink maker marks later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast