Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27

Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Can anyone help me find out who was originally awarded a monte cassino cross with with serial number 7 079. Thanks for your help.

Hi

Could anyone please be able to give me any information on a monte cassinio cross
    With number 20948 on the back
    Any help would greatly be appreciated

Paul

Hello Paul,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, many thanks for your post and in answer to your question, when awarded the recipients details were as follows :

Surname : Kulikowski

Christian Name : Mikołaj

Date of Birth : 20th October 1908

Army Number : (also found on His ID Tags) : 1908-206-III

Unit : 5 Wileński Pułk Artylerii Lekkiej (5th Wilno Light Artillery Regiment, 5th Kresowa Infantry Division)

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 20948

Hope this information is of some help to you Paul

Best wishes

Andrzej

Many thanks Andrzej

This was my Grandfather
    And I am trying to research his family history

He was also awarded the cross of valour
    ID card number 10995

As I have the medal and also the paperwork in polish which I translated

Would you by any chance know why this was awarded.

Many thanks

Paul

Sorry Andrzej I also forgot to ask you

Could you tell me anything about the

5th Wilno Light Artillery Regiment

As I am struggling to find anything

Many thanks again

Paul

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your post's to answer your first question, the only place that might have the original recommendation is the PISM (Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum) in London, if they have a copy it will be in one of files for the award of the Cross of Valour for the 2nd Corps.

If you decide to visit the Institute, you will need to telephone them to reserve a seat in the reading room, if you can not they can undertake the search for you with no guarantee that they will find anything in the 2 hours allotted for your enquiry.

Also you can search through the records for the award of the Army Medal and get a note of the Legitymacja number and the date awarded.

With regards to your second question for information on the 5 Wileński Pułk Artylerii Lekkiej (5th Wilno Light Artillery Regiment, 5th Kresowa Infantry Division), unfortunately I did not find much the Regiments basic armament was the British 25 Pounder.

No doubt any Regimental History will have been written in Polish if there was one.

I could not find one listed and due to the fact that I have been housebound for the last decade and now have eyesight only in one eye, I can not help you further with your quest for information, have you applied to the British M-o-D for copies of all records that they hold including possibly a copy of your Grandfather's service record ("Zeszyt Ewidencyjny").

If you have not already requested this record, I would advise you to ask for copies of all records that they hold, otherwise you will receive a 2 page letter listing basic details, whilst the Zeszyt Ewidencyjny lists his every movement from when he served under British Command.

If your Grandfather served in the Polish Army prior to the September 1939 Campaign you would need to contact the Polish Army Records Centre in Poland.

Paul remember that both the PISM and the British Ministry of Defence now charge for this service and although you might receive a quick reply from the M-o-D, the PISM can take up to 6 Months to answer, you can appreciate that during the Covid Lockdown post was still being sent to the PISM.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej

Thank you so much for you time
    I really appreciate everything you have helped me with and will look into contacting MOD

I have only just also found out that my Grandfather has his name on a gravestone
    In a churchyard in Gydania Poland
    With other family members names that have passed.
    This came a a total surprise as I never knew this growing up.
    Even though he lived in England his family still paid there respect in Poland to him passing away.

So I have family in Poland to search for also

And also can I ask
    How do I post pictures on here
    As would like to show you a few items I have
    If my Grandfather’s

Thanks again for all your help

Paul

Quote by Mr Paul View Post
    And also can I ask
    How do I post pictures on here
    As would like to show you a few items I have
    If my Grandfather’s

Thanks again for all your help

Paul
    Happy to be able to help in some small way, the following thread explains how to upload photos to your posts.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Good luck in your search!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I also suggest you may want to start your own thread on your items.
    It would be a shame if they get burried in this thread, as it is quite long and ongoing.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you Ralph for the help

Hello there Mr Paul!

If you want to know something more about 5 Wilensky PAL, I advise you to buy this book:
    Stara-Szuflada > 5 Kresowa Dywizja Piechoty 1941-1947. Zarys dziejow

It include informatione about every unit inside 5 KDP, duaring military operations in Italian campaign and mite be usefull for better understanding your grandfather's military way.

It is in Polish, but you can scan or photo one, and put pages inside Adobe FineReader for ex.

I have this book, so if you don't wanna buy it, I can photo and send for you all informatione about 5PAL.
    (Please contact: [email protected])

Post for your observe some pages about 5 PAL duaring battle of Monte Cassino:

Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross
    Monte Cassino Cross

Regards, Valerii

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27