Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Pictures aren't too good but can anyone tell if this is genuine and who received it, numbered 4401. Seems to be missing its small suspension ring. TIA Stefan

Default Monte Cassino Cross

Pictures aren't too good but can anyone tell if this is genuine and who received it, numbered 4401.

Seems to be missing its small suspension ring.

Monte Cassino Cross

TIA

Stefan
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

Default Re: Monte Cassino Cross

Hi Stefan,

Yes, you’re correct, the intermediate suspension ring is missing. I don’t have the award list so cannot help you with the name of the recipient, but can offer that they served in the 3RD Carpathian Rifles Division.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony

In your esteemed opinion, would it be worth maybe re-fitting a small matching suspension ring or would it be better just to wait for one with, for the same price?

Kindest regards

Hi Stefan,

With Reference to the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 4401, it was awarded to:

Surname: FLOREK

Christian Name: Hieronim

Date of Birth: 21st August 1912

Number on ID Tags: 1912/13/III

Unit: 1 Baonu S.K. 3DSK

I also found out that he was awarded the KW with Bar, when the war ended he came over to England and in 1947 married an Elizabeth Ablett in Cambridge (Register Volume: 4a, Page: 759)

He Died in March 2002 in Cambridge aged 89 (Register Number: E4C, District/Sub/District: 3311E, Entry Nr: 71).

From the 1981 British Telecom Telephone Directory he was living at 31 Victoria Park, Cambridge.

Thats all that I can offer you in regards to information, I hope that it helps.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by stefanr View Post
    . . . would it be worth maybe re-fitting a small matching suspension ring or would it be better just to wait for one with, for the same price?
    Hi Stefan, Looking at it strictly from a ‘dollars and cents’ point of view, it depends on what the asking price is and if you want to go to the effort of restoring it. On the collectors market it will always be viewed as an inferior piece without the correct original parts. Of course, replacement parts are not readily available.

I personally enjoy the challenge of repair / restoration, and with this one you would be able to pluck the suitable parts from one of the copies being sold.

If you are looking to acquire a 100% original un-messed with example for your collection then you might want to await a better piece. And if so then I would recommend waiting for one with a matching award document. Such sets are not particularly rare and do come up every so often.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Andrezjku and Tony.

Your quite right Tony, as an uncomplete cross there's always that opinion and I think there are better crosses complete with the award documentation for around the same price. Hadn't really thought about the document but would be nice to have that link for display purposes.

Cheers fellas.