Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 103 of 535 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5346

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Hello Rita,

May I also welcome you to the Forum, I have gone through the recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross both for Grzyb and Grzybowski, but could not find any Aleksander listed.

I have also checked the list of soldiers of the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division, where there is a Aleksander Grzybowski listed as a Kanonier (Artilleryman) serving with the 2KPAL (2 Karpacki Pulk Artylerii Lekkiej) 2nd Carpathian Light artillery Regiment.

This Aleksander Grzybowski was born in 1911 and had the Service Number (Also found on His ID Tags) : 1911-118-III.

Rita do you have any documentation belonging to your Father at all, any Legitymacja (Authorization) Cards or His AB64 Service and Pay Book as shown below.

Monte Cassino cross

AB64 Cover

Monte Cassino cross

AB64 inside which shows his service number and Polish Resettlement Corps (PRC) Number.

Rita have I got the right person when I say did your Father change his name from Aleksander Grzybowski to Aleksander Alexander, whilst living in Berkshire.

Rita it might be worthwhile contacting the British Ministry of Defence for a copy of Both his Polish and English Service Records, this would clarify everything for you. Unfortunately the M-o-D do charge for this service details can be found on the link below

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records

They now charge £30.00p and you would have to fill in the forms and submit it with a copy of your Fathers Death Certificate.

Rita please let us know how you get on.

Apologies for not being able to help you further with your request.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you Andrzej for your quick reply.
    Sadly I have no information or records about my Dad and my Mum sold his medals a long time before she died.
    As I said it was all hearsay and vague remembrances about him and his life.
    Yes he is the Grzybowski who changed his name to Alexander.
    I will get in touch with the MOD and see what they can tell me and let you know in due course
    Thank you once again
    Rita

I'm just trying to fill in the MOD application but not sure about any of the details required.
    Would my dad's Service number (1911-118-III) be the same throughout the war or would it have changed
    And is that the one I should quote on my application?
    Sorry to keep asking but I've come to realise that I know very little about my Dad's life.
    I'm feeling very sad that I've left it too late :-(

Hello Rita,

Do not worry, you have not left it too late, was your Father born in 1911 if so then it could be His service Number which he would have been issued with when joining the 2nd Corps.

The Polish Resettlement Corps Number was issued after your Father had arrived in the UK and before transferring into civilian Life.

The Polish Section of the Ministry of Defence Records should be able to give you his details if you give them a call details below:

For MOD Polish records, please contact:

Margaret Goddard or Barbara Kroll
    APC Polish Enquiries
    Building 60
    RAF Northolt,
    West End Road
    Ruislip,
    Middlesex HA4 6NG

Phone: 0044 (0) 208 833 8603
    Email: [email protected]

They should be able to confirm his service number for you Rita.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you once again for your advice.
    My dad's actual birth date was always a bit of a mystery but 1911 sounds about right.
    I remember being told he didn't really know what day/month he was born so chose 25th August!
    I will get in touch with Margaret Goddard and see where I can go from there.
    Would there be anywhere I could look to see if he was a prisoner of war in Siberia or is that not likely either?
    Rita

I've found a few of pictures of my dad. I hope it's ok to post them
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross

Hello Rita,

Many thanks for posting photographs of your Father, I hope that you do not mind I took the liberty of rotating the first photograph
    which is shown below. The 2nd photograph shows your Father wearing the 3DSK Badge on his breast pocket and cloth patch on His sleeve.

Monte Cassino cross

Rita I have also listed below the Aleksander Grzybowski's that are lieted on the Victims of Soviet Repression website.

1) Aleksander Grzybowski son of Wladyslaw born 1908, arrested in Bialrussia April 1940.

2) Aleksander Grzybowski son of Bazyli born 1910, arrested in Lwow on the 22nd September 1939, 28th June 1940 in a camp at Siewzeldorlag, 1941 at a Camp at Juza. He joined the Anders Army at Tatiszczewo on the 3rd September 1941.

3) Aleksander Grzybowski son of Wlodzimierz born 1914, after release from the gulags joined the Anders Army and died at Buzuluk on the 23rd July 1942.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Rita,

I have just gone through the PISM (Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum) online files in particular the following :

1) List of Families with members serving in the Polish Armed Forces deported to the USSR.

2) List of Polish families (Civilians) evacuated from the USSR.

In both I could not find your Father listed.

But know we know that he served in the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division, you can be sure that he is the Aleksander Grzybowski listed on the 3DSK website.

Best wishes

Andrzej

I can't thank you enough Andrzej, You have helped me so much.
    I've been searching everywhere and, woohoo, I've found these:-
    Service Record and Pay Book (not complete and very fragile)
    Certificate of Registration
    Certificate of Naturalisation
    I can't believe it as I don't remember ever seeing them before!

As for you research about Russia, I think his fathers name was Jakub but I am going to try to get in touch with some family in Poland and see what they can tell me.

I still might not be any nearer to finding out about what my dad did in the war but I feel closer to him now than I ever did when he was alive.

Hello Rita,

Congratulations on your finds

Best wishes

Andrzej