MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 537 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 513 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

?

Hi Andrzejku!
    Thanks for the great quality and fast response. helped a lot!
    Good luck to you!
    Best Regards,
    Alexandr

Hi War Relics Forum Members,

I have recently obtained set of items associated with Monte Cassino. Unfortunately, only papers, but among them I have found very interesting cover. I have never met such a cover for the Monte Cassino Cross Document. What do you think about it and have you got any information on this soldier who served before WWII in the 74th Infantry Regiment???

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

Thank you in advance,
    Jacek

Hi Jacek,

A very Nice Acquisition, Pawel Zydek was born in 1909, his Fathers Name was also Pawel, he was a serving soldier before September 1939, fought in the September Campaign and was captured by the Russians in Kowel on the 23rd September 1939, then moved to the camp at Rowne-Lwow on 16th October 1939, no other mention until he joined the Anders Army at Tockoje on the 2nd September 1941.

His Army Service Number: (Also found on his ID Tags): 1909-80-III, Unit 18th Rifle Batalion, 5KDP.

I regards to your question about the cover for the Monte Cassino Cross Legitymacja, it is original, I have one that is a blue cover with gold lettering, though over the years it has been removed. I had mine in a group to the 12th Geographical Company, that did all the artwork for the Legitymacja, yours is the only second one that I have seen in over 30years of collecting, so WELL DONE A VERY FINE AQUISITION.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

p.s. It would be worth the cost of a postage stamp to write a letter to the Army Records Centre at Rembertow, to see if they can provide you with photocopies of his service record, if they have it.

Hi Jacek, thanks for sharing this. It's the first time I am seeing such a cover. Rare piece! Congratulations on your new acquisition

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you guys for very good news. I supposed that it is something interesting because I have never met it, even in the literature…., but now when Tony and Andrzejku said that it is extremely rare I can be sure about it.

Special thanks to Andrzejku for extra info regarding Pawel Zydek

Cheers,
    Jacek

I have forgotten to add that the unique cover of the Monte Cassino Cross Legitymacja, which is discussed above, had golden letters too, similarly to Andrzejku's cover. Unfortunately, these letters are worn down in most cases.

Regards,
    Jacek

?

Witam.
    Mam pytanie. Czy ktoś z Państwa orientuję się czy jest możliwość zidentyfikowania właściciela po numerze odznaczenia? Dotarłem tylko do takiej informacji, iż żołnierz tego odznaczenia należał do 5 Kresowej Dywizji Piechoty.Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

Hello Merqin, and welcome to the forum . As this is an English speaking site I will translate your question:

Quote by merqin View Post
    Does anyone of you know whether it is possible to identify the owner of this numbered cross? I have determined only that his cross was awarded to a soldier in the 5the Kresowa infantry Division.
    Andrzejku has the Monte Cassino Cross award list and will hopefully be able to provide you with an answer.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Very nice cross! I am planning on spending a weekend in Monte Cassino in a few weeks and walking around the battlefield.... I would say tour but I am not using a guide.... just a map and my own 2 legs to see the REAL sights

Hi Thaddeus,

Lucky you! If you take any pictures, especially of the Polish cemetery or any of the monuments, please feel free to post them for us here.

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 13 of 537 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 513 ... LastLast