Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 535 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 516 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Hello Everyone,

Some more faces of recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Bishop Jozef Gawlina MCC 3

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Stanislaw Rogulski 2nd Corps HQ MCC 79

Monte Cassino cross

Plk Stanislaw Skowronski 2nd Corps HQ MCC 11

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Wldozimierz Drzewienicki 2nd Corps HQ Staff MCC 28

Monte Cassino cross

War Correspondent Melchoir Wankowicz (with arm raised) MCC 750

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Adam Jakubowski MCC 41622
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monte Cassino cross  

Some more Photographs of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Czeslaw Szolin MCC 42181

Monte Cassino cross

ks Boleslaw Zabludowski MCC 41465

Monte Cassino cross

Major Dr Stanislaw Krzywanski MCC 42175

Monte Cassino cross

Plk lek.dr. Marian Dietrich MCC 41447

Monte Cassino cross

Por lek Donat Massalski MCC 41456

Monte Cassino cross

Pplk Wladyslaw Dybowski MCC 43515

Monte Cassino cross

Pplk Stanislaw Sikora MCC 41627

Monte Cassino cross

Pplk Leon Kehle MCC 41454

Monte Cassino cross

Szer Leon Rzyski 24th Transport Company MCC 45063

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik sap. Jan Czekalski MCC 38799

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Felicjan Pawlak MCC 14807

Monte Cassino cross

Major Stanislaw Malecki MCC 22677

Monte Cassino cross

Plk Czeslaw Obtulowicz VM MCC 21399

Remember to enlarge the photographs click to open in a new page.

Well I hope that you like what I have posted today.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

emma47305
    ?

Hi there everyone!
    My Great Grandad was Polish and was among the Polish who moved to England after Monte Cassino. He lived in Wolverhampton with my Great Granny. Unfortunately, in the 80s someone broke in to their house and stole his war medals. They left some of the ribbons and I still have some of the issue books.
    I've always wanted to trace them and see if I could find out what happened to them!
    One of the medals I have been searching for is the Monte cassino cross. I have the stripes and book for this medal, but the medal and ribbon were stolen...
    The number is : 47305
    My Great Grandad's name was Stanislaw Biesaga and he was a Captain in the 12 Geographical company.

There are a number of other medals I want to find, but I decided to look for this one first.

Best wishes
    Emma

Hello Emma,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, your Grandfather was born in 1907, his service Number also found on his ID Tags (1907-195-III).

I know what is like when an old friend and work colleague had his medals stolen a Virtuti Militai Cross of Valour and British DFC, they where stolen by some young kids, he was very fortunate to get them back.

It is a shame that your Grandfather was not as fortunate. I have been collecting Polish Militaria since the 1970's and have not come across your Grandfathers medals or his name before except on the 12th Geographical Company List.

I will keep my eyes peeled for this one.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

emma47305
    ?

Thank you very much!
    I am determined to find them I have some other documents belonging to them - I'll post pictures when I get a chance!
    My Great Grandfather was one of the officers who avoided going to Katyn-the women of the family pursuaded him not to go, so he and the family went to Siberia for a while (my granny was a baby at this time) and then the family eventually ended up in Jerusalem. Then to England!
    I find my family history so interesting!

Hello Emma,

May I be the second to welcome you to our forum. Best wishes in your hunt for your grandfather’s missing Monte Cassino Cross. We’ve had two such re-unions here recently, which considering the odds is nothing short of miraculous. So don’t give up hope!

Your granddad’s other standard issue decorations would have been without serial numbers, so unless the original set is found intact with the MCC they will be impossible to locate if separated. However, by the same token, common period decorations can be easily found to replace those missing without appearing mismatched to documents. Please do post his surviving documents for us and we’ll gladly assist you in identifying what items to look for.

Regarding your grandfather’s and his immediate family’s history, it is the same story shared by many of the Poles who served in the 2nd Corps and fought at Monte Cassino. However, the account you have of his avoidance of death at Katyn by virtue of a tip would not be entirely accurate. More likely, he would have first fallen into captivity as a POW after Sept. 17, 1939 when Poland was attacked from the east by the Soviets, Germany’s ally at the time. Following interrogation your grandfather, for one reason or another, was then transferred to some form of penal labour. Tragically, the majority of captured officers were murdered in one of the Soviet NKVD killing centers, the most infamous being the Katyn forest. But some managed to elude this fate.

The typical Soviet method was then to locate the family and forcibly deport them as well to suffer untold misery in the wastelands of the USSR. This is how your family likely found themselves in Siberia. Countless thousands perished under the harshest conditions of overwork, starvation, and disease. Those that managed to survive until mid-1941 were “amnestied”, the term used falsely as it suggests that these people were guilty of something. Those that received news of their freedom (many did not) were left to their own devices to find their way across long distances in an unfamiliar land to where the Polish Army was being formed. This was the genesis of what eventually became the Polish 2nd Corps.

It’s great to read that you find your family history interesting. And it certainly is! There are many excellent books on the topic that I would highly recommend. Check our book thread here: Books

I encourage you to continue your research and can assure you that you will find the effort not only fascinating, but enriching.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Emma, if you are living in the UK and would like a copy of the book "The Ice Road: An Epic Journey from the Stalinist Labor Camps to Freedom " by Stefan Waydenfeld which describes one families experience of being deported to Siberia and life in the arctic tiagia just send me a PM with your address and I will gladly mail you a copy signed by the late author.

Monte Cassino cross

To expand on Tony's excellent synopsis, the above book also includes an essay I wrote giving an overview of historical context to the deportations of Poles to USSR, the formation of 2PolCorps which your GGFather served under, the political wrangling that went on in the background leading eventually to the Polish forces, which included my late father, arriving in England after the end of the war in Europe. Twenty illustrated pages that might fill in some of your own family history blank pages
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

A few more photographs of the Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik Edmund Wronski MCC 27597

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik Andrzej Rutana 6PPanc MCC 30371

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik Ryszard Patorski 6PPanc MCC 30367

Monte Cassino cross

Podporucznik Jozef Jabczynski 6PPanc MCC 30347

Monte Cassino cross

Sierzant Stanislaw Baran 6PPanc MCC 30400

Monte Cassino cross

St.Panc. Jan Ankutowicz 6PPanc MCC 30393

Monte Cassino cross

St.Panc. Stefan Blaszczyk 6PPanc MCC 30424

Monte Cassino cross

St.Sierzant Piotr Mackowiak 4PPanc MCC 29350

Monte Cassino cross

Ulan Jan Zubek PUK MCC 38740

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny Wladyslaw Chadukiewicz PUK MCC 38209

Monte Cassino cross

Podporucznik Janusz Baranski PUK MCC 38114

Monte Cassino cross

Rtm. Marian Karpinski 1PUL MCC 29686

Thats all for today, I hope that you all like them and watch this space for more to come

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Brilliant...many thanks Andrzejku
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hello Again Everyone,

A few more faces this time from 3DSK

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral sp. Adam Jarski Mcc 868

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral Feliks Kolando MCC 7548

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral.pch. Jerzy Czech VM KW MCC 3215

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral pch. Jerzy Machowicz MCC 9194

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral pch.(Ppor) Stanislaw Drozdz MCC 1262

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral Stanislaw Kucharczyk MCC 6709

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Edward Maslona VM KW (USA) Silver Star MCC 1605

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan Julian Knapik MCC 1506

Monte Cassino cross

Ks Marek Maszkiewicz MCC 1621

Monte Cassino cross

Major Leon Firczyk MCC 1293

Monte Cassino cross

St.Strz.pch. Boguslaw Harok MCC 5325

Monte Cassino cross

Pulkownik Roman Szymanski MCC 1898

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny Jan Boniecki MCC 2964

I hope that everyone likes the photographs.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Page 16 of 535 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 516 ... LastLast