Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 21 of 535 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 121 521 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Dragon, well done on your part to save the grouping as you did . You may want to consider trying to contact the winner of that one document that got away by asking for the sellers help - ? This is a relatively common document that you could find and then offer to swap. Hopefully the seller is agreeable to giving you the name of the winner, and hopefully the winner will understand and agree to part with the document.

The Cross of Valour document is in an interesting format unique to the 16 Lwowski Batalion Strzelców. Of particular interest is how it combines both the Cross of Valour and the Cross of Merit with Swords. Post #188 of this forums KW thread contains variations of award documents, but this one is not pictured. Please consider posting a picture of both sides there:

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Everyone,

I thought that I would post some more Faces of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny pch. Zygmunt Bohdanowicz MCC 34462 (Photograph after beinf promoted to Podporucznik)

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral Jan Siejka MCC 39462 (photographed when a Plutowny)

Monte Cassino cross

Bomb. Roman Sakowicz MCC 21886

Monte Cassino cross

Kanonier Eugeniusz Skowalczynski MCC 37940

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral Pch. Zbigniew Jackowski MCC 20892

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino May 1969 25th Anniversary General Anders with Major Stefan Soboniewski MCC 28775

Monte Cassino cross

Pulkownik Stefan Soboniewski (awarded Monte Cassino Cross whilst a Porucznik) MCC 28775

That is all for now, I would ask any fellow members "If you have any photographs of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross, to Post them".

Best wishes

Andrzejku

p.s. there are 3 photographs that can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Hello Everyone,

Back in 1989 there was a small booklet published edited by Peter Bander-van-Duren titled "Polonia Restituta" ISBN: 0-905715-34-9, 71 pages, split into 3 Sections. 1). The Polish Government in Exile, by President Sabbat. 2). Orders and Decorations of the Republic of Poland 1939-1985, by Krzysztof Barbarski, 3). The Polish University abroad by Prof.dr. M. Sas-Skowronski.

In the section on Orders and Deorations of the Republic of Poland, Krzysztof Barbarski wrote the following on the Monte Cassino Cross, Pages 57 & 58.

The Commemorative Cross of Monte Cassino "Odznaka Pamiatkowa Krzyz Pamiatkowy Monte Cassino"

Called popularly "The Monte Cassino Cross", it was instituted by Order of the Polish Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Armed Forces on 20 November 1944.

It was described as a steel cross od St, Benedict, suspended from a ribbon of terracota and sky-blue stripes (the colours of the Order of St. Benedict).

The Cross is made of dark, oxidised bronze, measuring 40 mm X 40 mm. On the obverse is the inscription MONTE CASSINO MAJ 1944. On the reverse is the number of the individual Cross.

The ribbon (33mm wide) is light blue with five orange/red stripes all of equal width.

The Monte Cassino Cross was awarded to:

1) those members of the 2nd Polish Corps who took a direct part in the action at Monte Cassino, Piedimonte and Passo Corno, between 12 and 31 May 1944.

2) to members of the 2nd Polish Corps wounded in action between 27 April and 31 May 1944.

3) Personnel of the 1st, 161st (former 2nd) and 3rd Hospitals, posthumously to those members of the 2nd Polish Corps who died on the field of battle, or from wounds sustained, during the period from 27 April to 31 May 1944.

The Service ribbon of the Monte Cassino Cross, worn on the uniform, has a daigonally placed bar with the inscription "Monte Cassino".

Although the Monte Cassino Cross is no longer conferred, the Chancery of the Polish Government in Exile is the only authority that can confirm the names and details of recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross.

I sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading the above article written some 25 Years ago.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hello Everyone,

Some more faces of recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan later Major Jozef Czapski MCC 48822

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny Wladyslaw Mroczko MCC 29353

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny Wladyslaw Mroczko MCC 29353 grave at Casamassimo

Monte Cassino cross

Plutowny Stanislaw Sys MCC 18360

Monte Cassino cross

Tadeusz Mieczyslaw Czerkawski MCC 3279 (postwar photograph)

Monte Cassino cross

Ulan Jan Jaworski MCC 29889

Monte Cassino cross

Kapral Jozef Kiszka MCC 6073

Thats all for today

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Default Three more faces of recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino cross

MCC#18538 PFC Stanisław Rzepkowski, 17th "Lwowski” Inf Battalion 5.KDP. Died of wounds at Monte Cassino on the 18th of May 1944. Rzepkowski is in the middle of the photo.

Monte Cassino cross

MCC#30685 2LT. Jerzy Lesiak, 6th Polish Armoured Regiment “Dzieci Lwowskich” 2nd Armoured Brigade. Died in Szczecin, Poland in 1992

Monte Cassino cross

MCC# 38638 Cpl Jan Smerliński, Carpathian Lancers Regiment. Died in Bydgoszcz, Poland in 1989.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Default Another one

Monte Cassino cross

MCC#20666 Lt. Dr. Jan Abramski, 5th Wileński Light Artillery Regiment 5.KDP. Died in Warsaw, Poland in 1969. Photograph taken in Palestine in 1943.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Default One more

Monte Cassino cross

MCC#19575 Priv. Józef Katra, 18th „Lwowski” Inf Battalion 5.KDP. Born in the USA in 1910. Came to Poland with his Polish paretns in 1912 and returned to the U.S. in 1947.

Best,
    Kosa

Well done Kosa,

Many thanks for your input, I just thought that you might like to know the following information on the recipients, if you know it already please accept my apologies.

Starzy Strzelec (Lance Corporal) Stanislaw Rzepkowski, Born 6th October 1912 in Mierzaczka Mala, Province: Lask, Died 18th May 1944, buried in grave: 7-F-13 at Monte Cassino. His Army Number was : 1912-80-III

Kapral.pch. Jerzy Lesiak Army Number: 1922-58-III, P6Panc.

Kapral Jan Smerlinski Army Number: 1912-9-III.

Strzelec Jozef Katra Army Number: 1910-215-III.

Porucznik Jan Abramski Army Number: 1905-34-III

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik Jan Abramski MCC Legit

Monte Cassino cross

Porucznik Jan Abramski 1946 photograph taken in Verona

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Hi Andrzejku,

Many thanks for your kind words of appreciation. Indeed I know the information but never mind. Let me add that four of them were awarded the Cross of Valour:

- Stanislaw Rzepkowski - rozk. pers. 2.Korpusu nr 158/46
    - Jan Smerlinski - rozk. pers. 2.Korpusu nr 16/46
    - Jan Abramski - rozk. pers. 2.Korpusu nr 98/44
    - Jerzy Lesiak - ?

Monte Cassino cross
    Kapral Jan Smerliński MCC and legitymacja

I have a list of approximately 1000 out of over 3000 recipients of the MCC, who returned to Poland. I sure will post more faces when I am able to get photos.

By the way, would you please check who was awarded a MCC#28194. Thank you.

Best,
    Kosa

Hello Kosa,

With regards to your request for information on the recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 28194 details are as follows:

Surname: PODBIERA

Christian Name: Leon

Fathers Name: Ludwik

Date of Birth: 1902

Army Number (also found on his ID tags): 1902-130-III

Unit: 16KZaop

Pre September 1939 soldier in the Army he was arrested in Tarnopol on Sunday 17th September 1939, that is all that I could find on Leon, I hope that it is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Page 21 of 535 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 121 521 ... LastLast