Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 536 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 524 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

?

Lance Corporal (Unpaid) Franciszek Ostrowski, 5 (Polish) Casualty Clearing Station, Loreto, Italy.
    MCC 41,714
    Monte Cassino cross

Dear Ostro,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, unfortunately the list has already been compiled and is in the hands of the PISM in London, both Alphabetical and Numerical.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Dear Kosa,

May I correct your post for Kapral Tadeusz Bartulski who as a St.Strz was awarded the MCC: 2891

Major Wojciech Kania who as a Kapitan was awarded the MCC: 1457, also he was only awarded the Silver Cross of the Virtuti Militari Nr: 10618

Julia Kenig was awarded the MCC : 42636 as a Kmdtka.Plut.Dr.

I hope that you do not mind the corrections that I have listed from the Original Register of Recipients

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Quote by ostro View Post
    Szer. Ostrowski Franciszek 1909/35/III 41714
    Szer. Ostrowski Franciszek 1901/5/III 41715 Is the /35/ and the /5/ based on the name or the year? It's been bugging me for years. Any ideas?
    Regards.
    Hi there,

That's correct. The bit in the middle means the same last name. In this case there must have been four 2nd Polish Corps soldiers with the same last name born before 1901. The higher the number is the later a soldier was born.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Dear Kosa,

May I correct your post for Kapral Tadeusz Bartulski who as a St.Strz was awarded the MCC: 2891

Major Wojciech Kania who as a Kapitan was awarded the MCC: 1457, also he was only awarded the Silver Cross of the Virtuti Militari Nr: 10618
    Andrzejku, many thanks. I have just noticed the mistake re MCC number. I am sorry for my negligence. Unfortunatelly I cannot edit the post any longer.
    Indeed Wojciech Kania was promoted to major in January 1945. I am kind of puzzled on Wojciech Kania as my records show he was awarded the VMC twice. For sure he was awarded the VMC for the September Campaign. I will check on thi issue.

Best,
    Kosa.

Hello Ostro,

There were 3 Franciszek Ostrowski's awarded the Monte Cassino Cross there details are as follows:

1) Szer. (Private) Franciszek Ostrowski 1901-5-III, awarded MCC 41715.

2) Plutowny (Lance Sergeant) Franciszek Ostrowski 1902-19-III, awarded MCC 34947, 11PAC.

3) Szer. (Private) Franciszek Ostrowski 1909-35-III, awarded MCC 41714.

If you would like the list of Ostrowski's awarded the Monte Cassino Cross, please send me a private email.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Dear Andrzejku,
    Thank you for your concern but most of the people who want information on MCCs do not live near Kensington, nor can they wait for the overstretched staff there to do the research. You seem to have a good reference library at your disposal, which is more than most people. PISM were going to publish the list in 2009... still waiting. Whilst the documents on their website are very interesting, they are not what most researchers want. An Excel spreadsheet - available to all with name/unit/MCC number would be invaluable. I'm coming at this from a different angle, not being a collector, I am part of Kresy-Siberia https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kresy-Siberia/info and it is what many of those researching their family histories need to know. With the MCC number, they should be able to find the unit... with the unit comes the history and filling the blank pages of deportation/Siberia. I wish PISM would put it online... it would same me typing out 50,000 names, but until they do... someone has to do it.
    Best Wishes, Dr Mark Ostrowski
    History of the Polish Armed Forces 1939-1949
    PS. If you would like to share you recipients list library, I would happily type them out!!!

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for your email, in March 2014 I presented Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz with a CD Rom which contained the Monte Cassino Cross Register both Numerical and Alphabetical, this will be published later this year.

Although 50,000 crosses where ordered from the Manufacturer only 48,824 where awarded.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Sounds very promising, will PISM publish this online as a searchable database?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Dear Pan Andrzej, Yipee... I didn't really want to type out all the names. I hope they do actually get around to publishing it this time. I don't want to wait another 5 years!!! Thanks for the good news.

Best regards, Mark Ostrowski

Page 24 of 536 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 524 ... LastLast