Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 536 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 534 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

PISM could - and should - have published the MCC recipients data to commemorate the 70th anniversary (in four days time) of the capture of Monte Cassino by 2PolCorps on 18 May 1944...what a fitting tribute that would have been. A tragic lost opportunity IMO.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

To the Wise Forum Followers,
    It seems I am always asking questions, so nothing new here. Although I can usually translate these military units pretty well, my knowledge of artillery matters is fairly limited.

Monte Cassino Crosses from 32333 were issued to soldiers : ze sztabu zwalczania artilerii.

I understand the words individually but as a collective I find it a tough one. Staff, Combat Artillery or Staff, Artillery Warfare or Staff, Counter Battery Artillery? Any ideas? As always, your help would be much appreciated.
    Best regards, Mark OSTRO

?

HQ Division Artillery 2nd Corps Artillery Group. I think you are talking about the 7th Horse Artillery Regiment. Correct me if I am wrong.

Best,
    Kosa

?

Dear Kosa,
    Would that it were that easy. Yes we are talking about the 2nd Artillery Group but The 7th Horse Artillery Regiment is the 7 Pułk Artylerii Konnej.
    The Sztabz walczania artilerii is a mystery to me. It’s CO was, I think, por. Władysław Skiba and the unit itself was no bigger than a platoon. What it did however, or its English translation I remain unclear about. This will require some more research.
    Regards, OSTRO

?

Hi Mark,

Sztab zwalczania artylerii was a field artillery unit to damage artillery with shell strikes. To research on this you may like to read "Artyleria PSZ na Zachodzie w II wojnie światowej" by Maciej Szczurowski.

Best,
    Kosa

Hello Mark,

If answer to your's and Stefan's question was Wojtek (the Soldier Bear) awarded the Monte Cassino Cross, unfortunately I could not find an award for him listed in the Register.

Also with regards to Porucznik Wladyslaw Skiba he was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Nr 32309 whilst serving with Dowodztwa Grupy Artylerii.

The Commanding Officer of ze Sztabu Zwalczania Artylerii was in fact Mjr Pajdo, there were 29 Personnel serving in the Unit awarded MCC 32333-32361.

I hope that this answers your question

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Dear Andrzejku,

Disappointed about Wojtek... these military types have no imagination! Thanks for looking anyway. Thanks for the other details too.

Best regards, Mark

PS, and if I may impose yet again on your generosity to complete 2 Artillery Group – could you tell me where the break between 10PAC and 11PAC is? I know it is somewhere between 34066 and 34461 but I don’t have the actual number. Thanking you in advance.

?

Thanks Kosa, So I guess I'll go with "Staff, Counter Battery Artillery" as the best translation option.
    Regards, Mark

Dear Mark,

10PAC ends with 34374 and 11PAC starts with 34375.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Quote by ostro View Post
    Thanks Kosa, So I guess I'll go with "Staff, Counter Battery Artillery" as the best translation option.
    Regards, Mark
    Perhaps Staff, Counter-Battery Section. It was a part of the 7th Horse Artillery Regiment to destroy German artillery.

Best,
    Kosa

Page 34 of 536 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 534 ... LastLast