Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 47 of 536 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 147 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Hello Everyone,

I had posted the following photographs in the Sikorski Museum Section, but thought that those who have not seen them just might like a glimpse of what is on display at the Sikorski Museum in London.

Monte Cassino cross

small painted plaque of General Dyw. Boleslaw Bronislaw Duch

Monte Cassino cross

some of the awards given to General Dyw. Boleslaw Bronislaw Duch (note the MC awarded in WW1 and the DSO awarded in WW2) MCC Nr: 4

Monte Cassino cross

Some of the awards given to General Dyw. Klemens Stanislaw Rudnicki MCC Nr: 14811

Monte Cassino cross

Awards given to General Bryg. Dr. Roman Odzierzynski MCC Nr: 6

I hope that you like them

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click the photographs to enlarge in a new window
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 06-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Andrzej, thanks for posting these close ups of the decorations groupings. Very interesting! Although entirely off topic for this tread, some brief observations:

In Gen. Duch’s decorations the KW on pre-war ribbon actually British made PSZ issue. No doubt a replacement for his lost pre-war cross that would have been left behind in Poland in 1939.

Gen. Rudnicki’s 5th Class VM is a very unusual and unfamiliar type. Perhaps a privately commissioned cross from a jeweler - ?? Fascinating cross.

Gen. Odzierzynski’s pre-war KW appears to be an Unger pre-war product. One of the more unique pre-WW2 crosses, and scarcely seen types.

Gen. Anders decorations (post #449) display a Cross of Merit with Swords by Italian maker Picchiani & Barlacchi. Also scarcely seen.

Regarding the Anders’ grouping, somewhere I had read or heard that museum staff have gone into the Anders display and replaced some decorations. Older photographs of the display supposedly provide proof of this. It would be interesting to verify if this is true, and if so, why would this have been necessary.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony,

Ask and it shall be given

Photograph of General Anders awards 1a

Monte Cassino cross

General Anders awards photograph taken early 1990's

Monte Cassino cross

General Anders awards photograph taken in the late 1990's

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on the photographs to enlarge in a new window

Thanks Andrzej. We can see that there had been some reorganization of the display in the 1990’s. And it does indeed appear that here has been another change.

The early 1990’s photo shows the grouping containing a pre-WW2 Rozycki pattern Cross of Valour with the award bars denoting four awards of this decoration.

The photo from later in the decade shows what appears to be an exile pattern cross (possibly Spink) standing in as the pre-WW2 representative. It is suspended from a pre-war 2nd Republic pattern ribbon with no additional award bars.

The obvious question, why was it changed?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Andrzej,
    Thank you so much for all that information on my grandfather!
    I was very fascinated by something you had written,my grandfather was awarded the cross for valour but was never given it nor was he ever given the polish medal wojska. I have since been trying to see if there was any way of my grandmother getting the medals my grandfather deserved but unfortunately I do believe my only option is to buy them?
    Am I correct in thinking this Andrzej??
    I have emailed the polish M.O.D and had no reply! But I have been researching on the Internet and do believe the polish army stopped giving them out in 2000!

Do correct me if I'm wrong?
    Thank you so much for your reply,you do a fantastic job putting names to medals!

Kind regards,Tessa

Dear Tessa,

Many thanks for your email, which puzzled me, because the Regimental History states that your Grandfather was awarded the Cross of Valour and the Polish Army Medal, which even lists his Army Medal Legitymacja Number and Date.

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if he did actually receive it, the Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum in London will possibly have a copy of the original reccomendation for the Cross of Valour, but if you write to them be prepared to wait upto six months to receive a reply (Mainly because their was originally only one Person doing this work but now there are two, they are bombarded with request from all over the world. It is also accepted that you send a donation to cover the time to find the reccomendation.

The British Medals can be purchased from the M-o-D at a cost, but the modern replacements are easily recognised has they have a larger ring on the stars to attach the ribbon.

The 1939-1945 Star and the Italy Star , Defence Medal and 1939-1945 War Medal originals can be easily purchased from dealers or ebay.

The Cross of Valour and Army Medal are copied quite a lot now days but an original can be found, but please be aware of copies and if possible post a picture before purchase so that the members can advise you accordingly.

My very best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Just another photograph of a recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross along with a photograph of his awards

Monte Cassino cross

Podpulkownik Adam Bielinski 15PULP MCC 23576

Monte Cassino cross

Podpulkownik Adam Bielinski awards Polish, American, Italian and British.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Another Face of a recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino cross

Kapitan sap.(later Major) Leon Miazga MCC 1590, Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Nr: 10621, Virtuti Militari Gold Cross Nr: 95

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click photograph to enlarge in a new window

Default Cassino Medal

Andrzejku do you have any information on the recipient of this medal?

Regards
    Michal

- - ------- - -

Andrzejku do you have any information on the recipient of this medal?

Regards
    Michal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monte Cassino cross  

Hello Michal,

With regards to details of the Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 31754: details are as follows

Surname: RUDZINSKI

Christian Name: ZYGMUNT

Date of Birth: 1897

Army Number: (Also found on his ID Tags): 1897-31-III

Unit : 9 Kompania Zaopatrywania (9th Supply Company, 2nd Armoured Brigade)

That is all the information that I could find on the recipient.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 47 of 536 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 147 ... LastLast