Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

monte cassino cross

Article about: hello, new member here !, I am interested in military and family history ( grandfather fought on the western front ww1 and father fought in n.africa and Italy in ww2) I usually collect small

jwp
    ?

Default Re: monte cassino cross

just to say , this medal will stay within my family, I am too sentimental to sell it on !, I am proud to consider myself as custodian of it. here is a pic of my dad after cassino taken in Egypt 1944, note Africa star ribbon and first army clasp.
    thanks to all for your help,
    best wishes,
    John.Name:  dad (Medium) (Small).jpg
Views: 299
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by jwp; 06-29-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Hello John, good to hear that you'll hold onto this cross. As Andrzejku said, it's a particularly fine example that has survived in top condition. Thank you for sharing the photo of your father. At Cassino these brave men went through hell on earth. While the D-Day landings and Stalingrad, among others, have rightfully seen the spotlight in post-war historical analysis, this has overshadowed the events of this monumental battle which over a four month span saw over 350,000 casualties. It easily ranks up there as one of the toughest and bloodiest battles of World War II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC 1a.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	532756

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

jwp
    ?

thanks tony, your comments are much appreciated, the chaps in Italy became known as D-day dodgers !, attached are some copies of the famous song, these came home with dad, I think the Italian campaign was known as 'the soft underbelly' my dad and other veterans called it a tough old gut !!,
    best wishes,
    John.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dday3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	532758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dday4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	532759

jwp
    ?

Just thought I would add this pic I found on the web, Andrzejku kindly identified my Monte Cassino cross as belonging to :

Surname: PRZYCHODNY

Christian Name: Jozef

Date of Birth: 1924

Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1924-83-III

Unit: z 11 Baon Lascznosci (11th Signals Battalion, 2nd Corps)

would be nice to think he may be amongst these brave young men of the 11th signals pictured here in Italy in 1944,
    kind regards,
    John.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Personnel of the 11th Polish Signals Battalion in Italy, 1944..jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	647872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12