Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Was My father a Cichociemny ?

Article about: Hi members, My dad was a cichociemny and he died in 1994. I was only 12 years old at the time and didn't understand his role in the war until I was in high school, but my mom couldn't rememb

Default Re: Was My father a Cichociemny ?

Hi C.K.,

Back to the portrait photo of your father in his 1st Armoured Division battledress, another tidbit of info for you.

Although it’s bit tricky with the black and white photo, the pennon shading looks right for the black/green of the 1st and 2nd Motorized Artillery Regiments. Posted below is a picture I quickly snapped of a motorized artillery BD and converted to B&W along with colour adjusting to approximate the sepia tone of your dad’s photo. You can see for yourself that the shading looks spot on. The pennons on this surviving BD also have a distinct cut and size that matches very closely to the ones on your dad’s uniform.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I think you have solved the pennon question, Tony

C.K., with that information another contact with PISM in London might prove worthwhile!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I will email the PISM again today.

4th Skorpion, by PISM...did you mean the MoD? I googled the PISM and on their website they direct you to the MoD for Archival Inquiries.

I guess I'll just email the MoD again.
    Last edited by Cichociemny Kid; 07-26-2011 at 08:11 PM.

C.K., Best wishes in your continued hunt for information. Please continue to keep us posted with your progress.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Tony,

Is the 1st Armoured Division battledress in the photo yours? How did you get it?

Hi C.K., Yes, obtained several years back. 1944 dated P40 pattern with typical mods favoured by the Poles (opened collar, extra pleating).

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was My father a Cichociemny ?  

PISM hold the various unit histories of the Polish Forces and should have listings of the men serving with each unit. So you should contact them again with this new information asking that they look for you father in the 1st and 2nd Motorized Artillery Regiment records. You can also list the medals your father was awarded. The more information you supply the easier it should be to find the record ie. if he is not listed in the unit history PISM might be able to find your father through recipients of Cross of Valour docuements etc.

The MoD hold the individual servicemens' service records. The MoD serviceman's history file will also contain the Polish service records as well because Polish Forces were under British command. So again contact them with name, date of birth, service in Polish 1st and 2nd Motorized Artillery Regiment and a list of medals awraded as this will help identify your father in case there are two people with same names in same regiment.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I emailed the MoD again and am still waiting to hear from them; however, I could only find a mailing address for the PISM (no email). Does anyone know of an email contact for them?

?

There is at present no public e-mail to the PISM ...

Gary J.

GFC
    ?

and odds are, they will never get e-mail. . . .

Things have changed in the past few years, and staff is very busy as more and more people avail themselves of the facilities.

Below are the latest regs.

as you can see, the times are tight, and it would be best to have somebody who knows Polish with you - and the script of wartime and pre-war Polish handwriting is not easy to decipher. At any rate, you should wait until you get the files from Northolt, which also is no longer easy as you you to prove relationship, and the standard of proof is pretty stiff. This came about because of the general tightening of privacy regulations, some of our sleazier countrymen abusing the system and getting files to put together "groupings" of militaria to sell with a "provenance".

GOOD LUCK !
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum

The Archives

Keeper of Archives: Dr Andrzej Suchcitz

Deputy Keeper of Archives: Miss Jadwiga Kowalska MA

The Archive reading room is open: Tuesday - Friday

9.30 - 4.00 pm (files cannot be ordered between 12.30 and 2 pm or after 3.30 pm)

The reading room is closed throughout February.

Photocopies: 40 pence per copy (b/w), colour £ 1.00p

Digital camera: 25 pence per photo.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam

As at 1st March 2011 all postal archival enquiries will be charged at £25 for up to two hours search, with no guarantee of a positive result. The Institute does not undertake comprehensive research requests by post. These have to be carried out in person in the Archive reading room by the interested party.

The Archive reading room is open Tuesday - Friday 9.30 - 4pm (closed throughout February).

We request a written confirmation of acceptance of the above conditions without which the search cannot be initiated. All requests are answered in turn. The current waiting period is 5-6 months.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast