Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mystery Ring

Article about: Hi, I've recently started researching my late Grandfather's military history - he was a member of 5th Kresowa Infantry - and, alongside his various medals and badges, I came across this ring

?

Default Re: Mystery Ring

What was your grandfathers name ?? (Fore and Surname ?)

Gary J.

His name was Boleslaw Wegrzynowski.

I sent a PM to andrzejku98 a couple of days ago in relation to Monte Cassino and he kindly replied with some info as below :

He is listed in "Dzialania 2 Korpusu we wloszech as being Chief Medical Officer from August 1944 in 5KDP with the rank of Kapitan.

From the Rocznik Oficerski 1932 your Grandfather is listed on Pages:335 & 827

Page 335: Podporucznik 1st March 1931 Date of Birth given as 24th October 1900 (though it was actually 1901)

Page 827: Central Wyszkolenia Sanitarnego, Warszawa.

By 1934 he had been promoted to Porucznik.

I think that's about everything!

Quote by mattygriff View Post
    . . . Being stationed near the Russian border at the outbreak of WWII, he and his family were imprisoned. When the Russians switched sides, they were all released and he spent time in Iran, Palestine, Egypt and Italy.

Not sure any of this is relevant but it's more or less all I know!
    Hi mattygriff,

Very much the typical trail of the majority of those that served in the Polish 2nd Corps.

If you want to obtain a good backdrop to the history of the 2nd Corps I strongly recommend that you read these books at the very least. They are spellbinding reads that will leave a lasting impression on you and a deeper understanding and appreciation of what your grandfather endured:

An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps
    Lt. General W. Anders
    Macmillan & Co.,, London, 1949.

The Last of the War Horses
    General Klemens S. Rudnicki
    Bachman & Turner, London, 1974

Please check this thread for other recommended books:

Books

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

That information supplied by andrzejku98 is fantastic .....
    It will prove to be a massive help in your research !

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by mattygriff View Post
    His name was Boleslaw Wegrzynowski.

I sent a PM to andrzejku98 a couple of days ago in relation to Monte Cassino and he kindly replied with some info as below :

He is listed in "Dzialania 2 Korpusu we wloszech as being Chief Medical Officer from August 1944 in 5KDP with the rank of Kapitan.

From the Rocznik Oficerski 1932 your Grandfather is listed on Pages:335 & 827

Page 335: Podporucznik 1st March 1931 Date of Birth given as 24th October 1900 (though it was actually 1901)

Page 827: Central Wyszkolenia Sanitarnego, Warszawa.

By 1934 he had been promoted to Porucznik.

I think that's about everything!

I'm also in the process of obtaining his Service Record from the MOD so, hopefully soon, I'll have a much fuller picture of where he was and when. I only wish I'd asked him about all this stuff when he was still around but, like most kids, such things didn't seem important at the time.

I have to say that I'm amazed by the knowledge and assistance of the people on this forum - it's an absolute credit to the Mods and Members. Hopefully, at some point, I'll be able to repay some of the help I've already received.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2