Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"

Article about: In search for some information on my Grandfather (FRANCISZEK LONGAWA) I stumbled up -on this cool website. So I tought I tell you guys what I know, and share with you what I have so far, may

nightcrawler
    ?

Default Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"

In search for some information on my Grandfather (FRANCISZEK LONGAWA) I stumbled up -on this cool website. So I tought I tell you guys what I know, and share with you what I have so far, maybee someone in here can help in finding some more information about my grandfather.

From what I know, he was a Pilot that flew the Lancaster Bombers in the RAF 305 Division. He also carried french documents at that time. (Having French Documents saved his life after he was shot down over england and crashed his plane, he survived the crash and ended up in a german occupied hospital, If he had Polish papers they would of killed him right away.)
    I have a page from a German Newspaper of him and a woman named Sabina Filater. I have no idea what it says as I don't speak German. I also have an article from the Polish newspaper that pretty much tells his story in Polish.

The picture of him and the woman is the same one found in the German Newspaper. It appears that the article has been written in 01/18/1945. Is anyone able to translate the German Article for me?

Click on the Images to make them bigger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"   Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"  

Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"   Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"  

Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"   Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"  

Default Re: Need Info on Polish RAF Pilot "FRANCISZEK LONGAWA"

I guess the lady was your grandpa's friend from the childhood that he apparently met in Polish internee camp in Winthertur in Switzerland.
    Rgds
    Al

I checked and FRANCISZEK LONGAWA name is not on missing personnel list
    (BRAK DALSZYCH INFORMACJI W WYKAZIE IMIENNYM PERSONELU
    POLSKICH SIŁ POWIETRZNYCH W WIELKIEJ BRYTANII W LATACH 1940 – 1947)
    So maybe Tadeusz J. Krzystek krzystek@btinternet.com might know more, lat us know when you find out more about your Grandfather
    Mariusz

?

Hello Nightcrawler .. and welcome !

I would suggest a letter to the Sikorski Institute might be the way forward ...
    You can find details in the thread "Researching a Polish Combatant" at the top of the index.

Researching a Polish Exile Combatant.

Cheers

Gary J.

nightcrawler
    ?

Thank you all for helping out with these suggestions, As soon as I find out more, I will post up.

Hello

Franciszek Longawa was definitly not a member of 305 squadron. Firstly they never flew lancasters or Liberators, only 301 sqd (special ops) flew Liberators and Longawa is not on their list, he does not figure on the 305 list also.
    From the photos you have showed in one hes wearing a uniform of the 2 Dywizja strzelcow pieszych in the other british infantry battle dress.
    Most probably he was a soldier in the 2DSP and was interned in Switzerland. Also the Polish Armed Force cross in the West does not have the air ops bar which suggests he was a infantry soldier.