Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Battledress

Article about: This arrived at the door today. It is my first battledress and I would appreciate any feedback on it. It's dated 1944 and has Poland flashes. Found a neat 2nd Corps patch in the pocket! Lots

Default New Battledress

This arrived at the door today. It is my first battledress and I would appreciate any feedback on it. It's dated 1944 and has Poland flashes. Found a neat 2nd Corps patch in the pocket! Lots of apparent modification and patching, perhaps some rust or blood damage? Lots of photos to follow.

Thank you in advance for any input you can share!
    -Johannes

New BattledressNew BattledressNew BattledressNew BattledressNew Battledress

The top button has been removed and its button hole sewn shut.

There is all sorts of tailoring to the collar areas.

New BattledressNew BattledressNew Battledress

Here are some front and back views of the repairs to damaged areas.

Here is the interior and some additional staining to the interior lapel.

Also is the wonderful patch I found in the pocket!

Looks good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looks good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thank you Ade!

Hello Johannes,

No doubt you have a genuine WW2 period battledress blouse. The Polish insignia is genuine as well. And the custom tailoring to the collar is completed in a manner found on those BD’s modified by Poles. But some important questions remain, such as when was the collar modification completed, as well as when were the shoulder titles applied? Could this be an unlikely example of a period BD that was partially completed, or perhaps one in process of being stripped? Or maybe even a post war recreation in progress at the same time that the moth damage was being patched? Judging by the popularity and relative ease of creating replicas the latter possibility must be seriously considered. In any event, again, the one thing we do know is that the base BD and insignia are good. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Certainly a good original BD, but as Tony mentions, the tailoring is impossible to date and the altering of the collar was done by British officers during the war and by OR's very late war or post war. Does it have any sign of collar insignia or other tailoring as Polish BD's are often very heavily modified, with padded shoulders often seen? Do the Poland titles look nicely settled in the fabric? This can be faked but is hardly worth it for this BD.

I assume it is probably all period done and original, but hard to say 100% from the pictures, but still a very good pick up IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello Johannes,

No doubt you have a genuine WW2 period battledress blouse. The Polish insignia is genuine as well. And the custom tailoring to the collar is completed in a manner found on those BD’s modified by Poles. But some important questions remain, such as when was the collar modification completed, as well as when were the shoulder titles applied? Could this be an unlikely example of a period BD that was partially completed, or perhaps one in process of being stripped? Or maybe even a post war recreation in progress at the same time that the moth damage was being patched? Judging by the popularity and relative ease of creating replicas the latter possibility must be seriously considered. In any event, again, the one thing we do know is that the base BD and insignia are good. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Regards,
    Tony
    Hello Tony,
    Thank you for the reply and points to ponder. I assume every WWII-era uniform (I collect American) could have been altered unless it can be proven to be untouched since 1945, so your guess is as good as mine on this example. I did find a couple threads remaining right under the titles that show patches were at one time affixed there. Upon closer inspection, the thread is similar in material and color (as close as I can judge) as those that still adhere to the 2nd Corps patch found in the pocket.

I am glad the tailoring is consistent with modified Polish jackets--I did not know they typically did this until I started reading other threads here.

Again thank you for the input!
    Johannes

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Certainly a good original BD, but as Tony mentions, the tailoring is impossible to date and the altering of the collar was done by British officers during the war and by OR's very late war or post war. Does it have any sign of collar insignia or other tailoring as Polish BD's are often very heavily modified, with padded shoulders often seen? Do the Poland titles look nicely settled in the fabric? This can be faked but is hardly worth it for this BD.

I assume it is probably all period done and original, but hard to say 100% from the pictures, but still a very good pick up IMHO.
    Hello Jerry,

Thank you also for the input! I cannot detect any threads for collar insignia and there is no additional material added to the shoulders on this jacket. The shoulder titles appear consistently worn on this jacket to the best of my observation. This is very interesting modification!

I appreciate the reply!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast