Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value

Article about: Subject : Fw: Polish Army cap eagle badge Date : Fri, Feb 04 2011 07:32 PM Dear Mr, Zawadzki, This is my "virgin" appearance on your forum, which I stumbled into unexpectedly while

Default New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value

Subject : Fw: Polish Army cap eagle badge

Date : Fri, Feb 04 2011 07:32 PM

Dear Mr, Zawadzki,

This is my "virgin" appearance on your forum, which I stumbled into unexpectedly while "googling" for some help on the Internet. Suddenly, voila, a bunch of afficionados, enthusiasts and knowledgeable lovers of, inter alia, Polish military memorabilia! Here is my humble inquiry:

I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE IN MY COLLECTION A PRE-WAR? POLISH ARMY OFFICER'S EAGLE CAP BADGE - NEW AND (hopefully) COLLECTIBLE! My pictures will be ready tomorrow and I will send them to the forum. After reading the very knowledgeable comments and views of Mr. Zawadzki and others, I concluded that what I have is, most likely, a Polish Army eagle badge made in England for the use of the Polish Army during World War II. It follows the original Polish examples of the land forces' hat
    badge made between 1935 – 39. It has oxidized finish but no name of the maker. This type appears to be an officer grade badge that would be on the traditional four cornered military hat, a ''rogatywka,' army garrison cap (I learned it from Mr. Z.' comments, too). The reverse has a two prong attachment (lugs), rather than the original screw-on prototype of the pre-war Skarnicki & Fiszbbein design (again, thank you Mr. Z.).
    Its provenance? These badges were brought by the Polish Military Recruiting Mission to Windson, Ontario, Canada, before Pearl Harbor, so, they may have been made earlier in England for the Polish Forces, regrouped again in Great Britain after the September Campaign. The badge is brand new and unused, but, obviously, shows patina of 70 years. With other memorabilia it has been in my family collection since 1943.
    Now, I see the knockoffs sold on eBay from Poland of the same thing for $9.99 (asking price). I am reducing my worldly possessions and trying to find people who will appreciate what I did for years as their owner. What would be a fair value of such a badge? Pictures of my badge will come in a day or two, weather and vis major permitting. I am thrilled with the possibility that I may be able to offer it for sale through your forum without paying the usual "haracz" to eBay.
    I don't even know, as yet, how to get back on this blog, but this is my "message in a bottle" and you can contact me on my e-mail: witkowskiwoods1@juno.com. Czesc i dziekuje za pomoc (as in "pomoc dajcie mi Rodacy!") Yours, etc., Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 02-05-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: the tail end of my e-mail draft was inadvertently included; excitement of my first message to the forum, mea culpa. Please delete. Wallace

Default Re: New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value

Hello Wallace and welcome to the forum,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy that you have found some helpful information here. We look forward to seeing pictures of your eagle cap badge.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value

Hi again Wallace, I've closed the "duplicate" thread and moved your post here:

Quote by Wallace View Post
    ]Hello Mr. Zawadzki and forum members,

My eagle badge is now on eBay, as I have decided to let the marketplace determine it's value.[I am deeply grateful to Tony for his knowledge and generosity in sharing it with the group. You can find the Engle with pictures, along with some of my old Polish coins, i list there over time, on seller's site: <picadillywares>. Czesc i dziekuje! Wallace
    I haven't been able to locate your listing via the seller name you indicated. Please post pictures of your eagle badge here, or of you are having difficulties just post the auction site link and we'll take care of it for you.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi again Wallace, I've closed the "duplicate" thread and moved your post here:

I haven't been able to locate your listing via the seller name you indicated. Please post pictures of your eagle badge here, or of you are having difficulties just post the auction site link and we'll take care of it for you.

Regards,
    Tony
    Hello Tony,

Here is a copy of my listing on eBay at picadilly-wares (note the hyphen ('-") between the two words)
    ------------------
    Poland WW ll Army Original Eagle Cap Badge - Relic

Item condition: New

Time left: 9d 15h (Feb 15, 201111:00:39 PST)

Bid history: 5 bids[Refresh bidhistory]

Current bid: US $33.00

Your max bid: US $

HERE IS THE CORRECT ADDRESS FOR THE SELLER)
    Seller info
    Member id picadilly-wares ( Feedback Score Of 2719)
    97.6% Positive feedback
    Save this seller

i CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO LOAD MY PICTURES ONto YOUR FORUM. PLEASE GO ON THE EbAY PAGE WHERE ALL THE PICTURES OF THE ITEM ARE DISPLAYED.

Other item info
    Item number: 400193132410
    Item location: Sanilac County, Michigan, United States
    Ships to: N. and S. America, Europe, Australia
    Payments: PayPal See payment details

Hope you have no trouble seeing the pictures and copying them for the forum. I hope to learn it one day. Thank you again and regards, Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 02-06-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typos and synthax changes...

Hello Wallace,

The hyphen in your ebay handle made all the difference!

Well well, you have a mighty fine eagle badge there. Your earlier description about the badge being associated with the WW2 Canadian / US recruiting effort of Polish volunteers is correct. This is a seldom seen variant of the wz.39 Polish hat eagle made by the Toronto based firm of G.J. Garratt. It is one of the most sought after types. Please stay the course with the auction and avoid the temptation to close it early by accepting one of the private offers you will undoubtedly receive. This is a rare and valuable badge, and you should see a handsome result when the hammer comes down at auction end.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value   New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value  

New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value   New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value  

New collectible Polish Army eagle badge in search of opinion as to value  

Hello Tony,

Delighted you like the Recruiting Eagle. I also have a few buttons resulting from the Windsor Mission. But I do not know how to send the image of two larger types of the buttons? I have them in my computer but don't exactly know how to transfer it to the forum. By the way, who is the Polish Eagle Collection? Private or an institution? Regards, Wallace

Hi Wallace,

To post pictures click on the "Go Advanced" button bottom right of your screen, and then scroll diwn to "Pictures Upload" (under "Attachments" heading). It should be self explanatory from then on.

>>> who is the Polish Eagle Collection? Private or an institution? <<<

The "Polish Eagle Collection" I know is a private collector. Could this be a "back door" offer that I warned you about? . . .

Regards,
    Tony

WeIl. I have not been approached with any back door offer so far, but I appreciate your advise, Tony. Of course, I would not go for any violation of the rules. I am informed by my seller that the latest bid was made by aformentioned person.
    Well, tomorrow I will attempt to show the picture of the two different types of button. Thanks and dziekuje za pomoc i porade. Walace.

Hello Tony,

Another small puzzle emerges for me. I have a few cuff buttons but only one is different from the others. They all were among my father's mementoes from the days of the Windson Recruiting Mission; but one is definitely different than the others. My intuition tells me that THIS ONE may be a real, pre-war eagle button, since its tail is like in the last few years of Polish coins, while the other eagles on unifor buttons in my collection display the earlier version of the eagle, found on the interbellum coins, whose design was criticized as an "ogon jak pedzel," or "paintbrush shaped tail." Can you or others shed a light on its origin?
    I still have trouble navigating on the forum, thus my strong preference to write an email (if I ever find your eMail address), so this is just a draft of a message with images of the two different coins (if I figure out how to attach them. I simply try to find a picture among my images, but I don't know how to find their URLs?) If not - we may have to wait.. Regards, Wallace

This is a private, confidential communication between the sender and the intended recipient(s). If you are not intended recipient(s), or should you receive or intercept this communication without sender's consent, you are required to delete it without reading, copying or otherwise disseminating it. This E-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U. S. C.'' 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.

Hi Wallace,

The topic of uniform buttons is a very broad one all on its own. I have only very basic knowledge as it is not an area I have looked into all that much. I’ll send you a private message with my email address to which you can send the pictures. It will also probably be best to start a new discussion thread for this.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast