Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction

Article about: Fellows Please look at this – Incredible See the article and comments too Battle of Britain hero's time capsule opened after 50 years | Mail Online

?

Default Re: Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction

Hi there,

Without getting into polemics in this matter I thought I could mention that I have done quite a lot of research for Center For Military Studies and helped them with some exhibitions. Since a few years back there is a really close and very successful cooperation between the Center for Military studies and the Polish-American museum in New York. Just as in all museums, not all items can be displayed at the same time but they do rotate on a fairly regular basis. The sole purpose of all displays is to put the spot light on the soldiers who participated in those dramatic events of World War 2 and unlike in some other museum all personal artifacts are displayed.

Gerald Kochan also holds the position as curator at the Polish-American museum. I know for a fact that several other collections belonging to the center have been on display at various museums all over the US. Some years ago made a movie where he interviewed many Polish pilots - White Eagle in Borrowed Skies A History of the Polish Air Force in WW II ( Skalski’s Circus ) I know Gerald Kochan is currently working on another documentary.

To summarize what I have been trying to establish above. I know that there are some not so serious people claiming they are setting up museums, they operate all over the world. Center for Military Studies is however not one of them, on the contrary the Center has made significant contributions to the studies of Polish Military history and given the unsung Polish heroes of World War 2 a face and a voice. You don't have to take my word for it. I have attached photos of some of the exhibits here below.

Cheers,
    Jacek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction   Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction  

Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction  

?

Jacek,
    Obviously you have direct contact with Mr Kochan.

Can it be at least clarified where Fl Lt Tarkowski's former property is now being held for the sake of his direct family please ?

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Jacek,
    Obviously you have direct contact with Mr Kochan.

Can it be at least clarified where Fl Lt Tarkowski's former property is now being held for the sake of his direct family please ?

Regards

Gary J.
    I submit to you that this is not a proper question for this forum but rather, a matter that can be discussed between Mr. Kochan and the family members who are seeking such information.

Respectfully,
    I.P.

?

Ivan,
    Of course ... you are right .

I let my emotions run away with me on this subject, as I've seen a few "obituary / museum / coffin chasers" in the past, and they are personally not my favourite subject.

Apologies ..

Gary J.

For me he most important question for those considering making a donation to any museum is who ultimately has ownership and control of that museum and the deposited materials and artifacts? Are they held in trust by the organsation (such as those in the Sikorski) or by an individual who has ownership of the organisation? If the particular museum was to close its doors what happens to the collections that may have been donated by family members? Who controls or decides on the disposal of any collections or commercial exploitation of donated materials? And if any individual gains financially rather than a trust? That would be the concern for me.

Of course auctioned collections are a different matter entirely from donations.

Looking at the images posted by 3DSK the Center for Military Studies has some very interesting displays and should be congratulated for putting them together and so should 3DSK for helping with research
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Exactly my fears

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    For me he most important question for those considering making a donation to any museum is who ultimately has ownership and control of that museum and the deposited materials and artifacts? Are they held in trust by the organsation (such as those in the Sikorski) or by an individual who has ownership of the organisation? If the particular museum was to close its doors what happens to the collections that may have been donated by family members? Who controls or decides on the disposal of any collections or commercial exploitation of donated materials? And if any individual gains financially rather than a trust? That would be the concern for me.

Of course auctioned collections are a different matter entirely from donations.

The Center for Military Studies - I'd like to mention that I have family in Texas and through friends they have visited Greenville and failed to actually find The Center for Military Studies . We have a PO Box address and the home address of Gerald Kochan .

So yes the Polish American Museum, Long Island does have a display of items aquired by " The Institute" , but as to an actual physical presence ( bricks and mortar ) - well we have so far failed to find it

You can follow this further on 300PolishSquadron : descendants of the Polish Squadrons where others have come accross the "Institute" and Mr Kochan.

The Yahoo site is also a fantatsic source of Polish WW2 photos and archive - I suggest that those of you who are really interested visit

Default BBC Investigation

I was contacted last night by a BBC TV reporter regarding the sale of WW2 Memorabilia - specifically in relation to my posts about the issues with my Grandfather and the loss of his Log Book to the Center for Military Studies in Greenville Texas .

I have made contact with families from The UK , Canada and Europe on the issue and was wondering if anybody else had any stories / information regards this area ?

Please feel free to contact me on my email mattm1970@hotmail.com and I will pass on any further information about this emotive issue to him.
    Last edited by Gary J; 07-21-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: BBC Investigation

Quote by mattm1970 View Post
    I was contacted last night by a BBC TV reporter regarding the sale of WW2 Memorabilia - specifically in relation to my posts about the issues with my Grandfather and the loss of his Log Book to the Center for Military Studies in Greenville Texas .

I have made contact with families from The UK , Canada and Europe on the issue and was wondering if anybody else had any stories / information regards this area ?

Please feel free to contact me on my email mattm1970@hotmail.com and I will pass on any further information about this emotive issue to him.

For those that do not know, WRF forum owners are equally (and legally) responsible for any defamatory or libelous remarks posted on the forum by members and legal action could be taken against them also by someone who considered themselves defamed.
    Last edited by Gary J; 07-21-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

I think it best to close this thread at this point, for obvious reasons.

Gary J.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3