Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction

Article about: Fellows Please look at this – Incredible See the article and comments too Battle of Britain hero's time capsule opened after 50 years | Mail Online

Default Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction

Fellows
    Please look at this – Incredible
    See the article and comments too

Battle of Britain hero's time capsule opened after 50 years | Mail Online
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction  

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

It sold for £31,000.

What a superb historical group.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

actually sold for
    31,000 plus commission of 15%= 35,650

Default Re: Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction

Beautiful and historic grouping !!

I wish I knew that auction was going on...I would have certainly thrown my hat in that ring. I think it sold quite reasonable. I have a very similar grouping but not quite as prestigeous or exotic as this one.

Vic

?

detail
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Outstanding Polish Battle of Britain pilot group sold at auction  

?

$54,000 dolars is a resonable price?
    I will start collecting rocks..

Quote by dorava View Post
    $54,000 dolars is a resonable price?
    I will start collecting rocks..
    Hey !

I forgot the hammer price is in British Pounds !!

Well...the grouping is way up there price-wise but WWII RAF gallantry is selling at an incredible premium these days. This Pole was a confirmed Battle of Britian Ace who received the VM. He was also an NCO pilot as evidenced by the award of the DFM. There were only 100 or so DFMs issued to Polish flyiers in WWII making it a very rare medal.

In addition, this grouping is in pristine condition and has just about everything you could desire save the VM document that I have in my grouping. I can't tell the manufacture of the VM from the photos but I would assume its one of the VMs brought to Britain by the Polish government-in-exile !?!

All-in-all...a once in a lifetime grouping !! If you're into that sort of thing !!

Vic

p.s. If you're going to start collecting rocks...you could send me your collection !?!

Friends
    I have to say – I am surprised by the price achieved. It is an incredible valuation.

However, i have to say – it is a very exotic set - from the BoB Hero to the Special Op. I am struggling to see what would match this.
    I can imagine an incredible interesting and enjoyable task of the new owner(s) trying to research the CIA archives to see personal archives.

I have small issue with the VM in this group. Obviously do not have a close picture – but, by all the standards i know – does not look like war-time issue?
    Difficult to speculate – and I hope i am wrong.

Shall we start posting VM from our collections?
    I will post one i have tonight?
    Let’s debate here!

Hey !

Its hard to speculate on the VM from this image. Also, the medals are in such pristine condition that they all look brand new. Since he's a BoB pilot, I would think his VM would have been the early numbered version that was brought from Poland with the government. Its hard to tell from this image and perhaps others can weigh in their opinions. The DFM is quite rare and should have his name and rank engraved on the rim.

Regarding the hammer price for this grouping, BoB Ace Johnnie Johnston's medal grouping sold at auction for a record 241,500 pounds. Granted, he's a bit more famous but that will give an idea on the value placed on BoB ace gallantry groupings.

This link will provide more British gallantry prices from Spink auctions:

Spink Medal Department: Orders, Decorations, Campaign Medals and Militaria

Vic

?

Quote by vicjoy1945 View Post
    Hey !

Its hard to speculate on the VM from this image. Also, the medals are in such pristine condition that they all look brand new. Since he's a BoB pilot, I would think his VM would have been the early numbered version that was brought from Poland with the government. Its hard to tell from this image and perhaps others can weigh in their opinions.

Vic
    The VM was NOT early version...and therefore not numbered..It could be a Palestinian version

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast