Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paybook Translation help please

Article about: Dragoon - here's a photo showing the cap badge in use (photo dated Rome, 6th March 1946); casual group photo Italy 20th August 1945. Dad's front centre, unfortunately I don't have names for

?

Default Paybook Translation help please

I've managed to find some documents from Dad's service days, but don't read a word of Polish and would really appreciate any help with translating the little I have. Google works with the printed text, but the handwriting has me stumped.

From the help of A.J.Zawadzki (thanks Tony) I know he was in the 66th Pomorski Infantry Battalion. I've since found a service history extract from the Ministry of Defence that confirms that, and shows he joined up 13-April-1945 in Paris, and transferred to Italy 12-May-1945.

Prior to that he had a pretty rough time of it. He was 15 when the war started, born in a tiny farming village, near Zamosc. Conscripted into forced labour on railway works as a youth, escaped that and served in the A.K. in 1942/43, Majdanek in 1943, slave-labour in Germany in '43/44, and escaped while being force-marched towards France (presumably to work on defence works) to be picked up by the American forces near Trier in the winter of '44/45. Transported to Paris to be fed back up and then joined up when able. All before he was as old as my own son....

I believe he had just completed training and was actually on a transport to the front when the war ended - but it would be great to know the movements of the 66th Pomorski in 1945, and particularly where they were in May '45. Also - does anyone know where their training/reserve camps were located?

Stayed in Italy as part of the occupation forces until being demobilised in England in 1947.

Paybook's not in the best condition....

Training page - can anyone translate please??

I'll attach some more images in another post.

Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by IanOz; 04-15-2012 at 11:13 AM.

?

Default Re: Paybook Translation help please

Some more images - Dad's badges. Not in the best condition, but at least I know they're original

?

And finally, some post-war ID cards;

Paybook Translation help pleasePaybook Translation help please

Paybook Translation help pleasePaybook Translation help please

Hope they may be of interest. Any translations welcome

Cheers
    Ian

?

To "Training page": "Order of command 2 (Polish) corps No:54/44 point:447 3 june 1944 instructed to introduce an ad hoc procedure day 13 may 1945."

?

Thanks Grosz.

Any ideas about what it means?

?

Unfortunately, I do not know but it may be an administrative procedure
    giving the type of qualifications, awards, penalties. It's just my conjecture. I think you need to check in The log of orders in The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London.
    (I'm sorry for my English but I know slightly)

?

Time for some research digging

Thanks again Grosz. (your english is perfect by the way. I know how to say 'good morning' in Polish and that's all.. )

"Pouczony o wprowadzeniu postepowania doraznego" Postepowanie dorazne means swift ad hoc military court proceeding. Without being able to appeal to the 2nd instance. Kind of welcome orientation to the PolishArmy, in US Army they teach Code of Conduct. Means he was told of possible penalties for bad behavior.

?

Hello,
    Possibly a very silly question but what is the blue badge with the white bird on it? Is it the 66th unit badge or a commemorative of some sort?
    Never seen one before so would be very grateful for any help!

cheers, Dragon

?

Thanks Itakdalej - that makes sense Kind of like the "internet use" policy you get when you start a job now..

The white-bird badge is the unit cap badge for the 66th Pomorski Infantry Battalion, part of the 16th Pomorska Infantry Brigade of the 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division. A better photo of one is available in post
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-4/#post522078

Cheers
    Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast