Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

Article about: Hi again Witty, I forgot to say that the Romanian Order would likely be one of the following either the Order of the Star of Romania, The Order of the Crown of Romania or the Order of Carol

Default Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

Am trying to piece together my grandfather's story from the fragmentary evidence that I have. My dad never spoke overly much about his father and what I do know has piqued my curiosity and I'd like to find out more.

My grandfather's service in the military stretched from 1914 through to 1945 (with a 5-year break in the 1930s), so it's kind of tricky where to post this thread - here or in the 2nd rep one.

What I know from his early military career is that he served in WW1 in Pilsudski's Legions, first as a rifleman, volunteering in 1914, and was then promoted through the ranks. His stint as a combatant on the eastern front ended in 1917 when he wound up in the stockade for refusing to swear allegiance to Kaiser Willhelm II.

Below is a photo to get things started - taken in late 1933, I believe on his promotion to colonel.

Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

Default Re: Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

What exactly is the sort of info you are looking for? I assumed you internet searched him, there is a fair size history alone on him on wikipedia in Polish:

Artur Maruszewski

And few pics under Pułkownik Maruszewski can be found also but maybe you already have all this:

There is more photos, but ofcourse is not worth me going through all if you already maybe have them

I'm looking to trace his military career for the most part, both in Poland and here in the UK and in France during WW2. I've been aware of the stuff on wikipedia for some time, but am taking it with the proverbial pinch of salt (as one does) since some of it seems to be inconsistent in places, either with what I do know or with what I have in my possession. And then of course, there are the damndest gaps...

Thanks for the heads-up on the photos however, as they're all new to me I'll check out that photo archive for sure. It's muchly appreciated.

Then there's the joy of the language barrier as my Polish isn't exactly brilliant, alas... I can understand it, but the finer points tend to escape me. As for anything handwritten, forget it. LOL

Hi Reynard,

I'am rather busy at the moment but I have been able to look through, my small library and I have found the following entries for your Grandfather, I will start to look through the Army Daily Orders sometime next week to see when your Grandfathers awards were listed.

Lista Starszenstwa Oficerow Legjonow Polskich Warzawa 1917 ( Seniority List of Officers in the Polish Legions published Warsaw 1917).

Page 35: Maruszewski Artur, Chorazego. 1.IV.1917. 5pp (Warrant Officer appointed 1st April 1917 in 5th Infantry Regiment of the Legions.

I then checked: Lista Oficerow Zwiazku Strzeleckiego, Warszawa Lipiec 1936 rok. (List of Officers of the Rifle Association, Warsaw July 1936). But without any luck.

I then checked Lista Oficerow Dyplomowanych, Warszawa 1931 (List of Officers who Graduated from the Higher Military Officers Academy 1931)

Page 6: Piechota Podpulkownicy (Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel), entry Nr 40 Maruszewski Artur Tomasz (21.12.1886), D-ca pulku K.O.P. "Czortkow" (Commander of Frontier Defence Corps Regiment) Seniority 1st January 1927 The K.O.P. "Czortkow" was part of the K.O.P. Podole Brigade.

On the same course were three officers who would obtain the rank of General of Brigade they were:

Pplk Stanislaw Sosabowski, Pplk Tadeusz Wincenty Pelczynski, Pplk Jozef Albin Wiatr.

I did take a brief look at your Grandfathers entry on Wikipedia, but as usual they had got your Grandfather awards listed incorrectly, They had the award of the Cross of Independence with Swords when in fact he was only awarded the Cross of Independence.

The Rocznik Oficerski 1932 (Officers Yearbook 1932) lists his awards as Virtuti Militari (5th Class / Silver Cross), Cross of Independence, Polonia Restituta (4th Class / Officers Cross), Cross of Valour with a Bars, Gold Cross of Merit.

I will list the entries for both the 1924 and 1932 Officers Yearbooks when I have a bit more time.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help

Best wishes

Andrew

Reynard, just out of interest what sort of stuff do you have of his that survived with him to the UK? Have you been to the Sikorski Institute and Museum in London, im sure they would have an abundance of info or could access it for you somehow.....

Hi again Reynard,

There are approximately 117 photographs on the NAC web site if you type in Maruszewski, I have finnished my work earlier than anticipated now back to the entries for your Grandfather:

Rocznik Oficerski 1932 (Officers Yearbook 1932)

Entries found on pages: 21, 905

Page:21 Pplk Maruszewski Artur Tomasz (21.12.1886) dypl. VM (5th class Silver Cross). KN (Cross of Independence). OOP (Polonia Restituta 4th Class/ Officers Cross). KW x 3 (Cross of Valour with 2 Bars), KZ.zl. (Cross of Merit in Gold (commonly refered to as Gold Cross of Merit) d-ca. pulku K.O.P.

Page: 905 Maruszewski Artur Tomasz Pplk Dowodcy Pulkow K.O.P. (Regimental Commander) Piechoty (Infantry)

Rocznik Oficerski 1924 (Officers Yearbook 1924)

Entries on Pages: 8, 147,347.

Page:347. Entry Nr:178 Matuszewski Artur Tomasz, S.G.,11pp (General Staff, formerly 11th Infantry Regiment.

Page:147. 11Pulk Piechoty (11th Infantry Regiment), Major Matuszewski Artur Tomasz S.G. (n.e.) M.S.Wojsk.O.1. VM(5) KW(3)

Page 8. Oddzial i Sztabu Generalnego, Szef Oddzialu, Maruszewski Artur Tomasz Mjr. S.G., (n.e.) 11ppp VM (5) KW(3).

I hope that this helps, with regards to your Grandfathers Service Record from 1914-1939 the best route would be to write to the Army Records Centre in Warsaw, and his Army Service from 1940-1945 the Ministry of Defence Polish Records Section.

The Sikorski might have something but the above are your best avenues of research.

Once again Best wishes

Andrew

Hi again Reynard,

I just thought that you might like to see your Grandfathers entry in Wykaz-Poleglych i Zmarlych Zolnierzy Polskich sil Zbrojnych na Onczyznie w Latach 1939-1946, Wydawca Instytut Historyczny im General Sikorskiego Londyn 1952. (The list of Fallen Soldiers and Deceased Polish Forces in Exile in the years 1939-1946, edited by the Historical Institute General Sikorski, London 1952.

Maruszewski Artur Tomasz.plk.dypl. 21.12.1886. Warszawa, 6.12.1945, Edynburg, Szkocja. Corstorphine Hill, Gr. G123/II.

Best wishes

Andrew

Great job andrzejku, you are walking Wikipedia.
    Beautiful picture of your grandfather.

Thanks Andrew, that really multiplies my knowledge by quite some margin - and also corroborates some of the items I have here. I'll print off those references and see exactly how they fit together. It's so appreciated, it really is.

You answered my next question regarding further research - I will undoubtedly follow those up.

However, you wouldn't have found him in army records after 1935 as by then he had gone into politics, and only rejoined the army in 1940 as a volunteer while in France.

I'm actually currently going through what I have of his surviving papers and personal effects - some pre-war, but most from September 1939 onwards. It's pretty slow going, am trying to put the paperwork into chronological order at the moment. Dad never touched the stuff, so it's all as was when it was packed up in boxes.

From what I've learnt so far, it seems that he was the commandant of the camp at St Loup which was the base of the 4th Infantry Division. The division itself was under the command of a General Dreszer. My grandad, as camp commandant, was responsible for planning the evacuation in the face of the German advance. I have a few orders and a map relating to that.

Thanks again,

Witty.

Very good thread in progress here.

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    . . . I did take a brief look at your Grandfathers entry on Wikipedia, but as usual they had got your Grandfather awards listed incorrectly,. . .
    Not to mention his military service in the exile forces. Thanks for your research Andrzej. Always a valuable and appreciated contribution

Quote by Reynard View Post
    . . . I'm actually currently going through what I have of his surviving papers and personal effects - some pre-war, but most from September 1939 onwards. It's pretty slow going, am trying to put the paperwork into chronological order at the moment. Dad never touched the stuff, so it's all as was when it was packed up in boxes. . .
    Witty – first off, I agree with Mariusz that the portrait of your grandfather is wonderful. (please don’t hesitate to post larger file size images!). We all very much look forward to seeing any and all of your grandfather’s items. He led a very interesting life. I can only imagine how exciting it must be to look through this time capsule of documents and things sitting untouched for so many tears. We’re hanging on your every post!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast