Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days

Article about: Good day I'd like to share this badge which has seen better days. My question is: is is a fake that has been purposefully "weathered" to give it a genuine appearance or is is the r

Default Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days

Good day

I'd like to share this badge which has seen better days. My question is: is is a fake that has been purposefully "weathered" to give it a genuine appearance or is is the real thing that has seen better days?

What do you think? As ever all comments welcome and if it is OK then is there anything that can be done to clean off some of the verdigris?

All the best

James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days   Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days  

Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days  

Default Re: Podhalanski Regiment Badge that has seen better days

Hello,
    For me, this badge is good.
    I can't help you to clean it.
    ZP

Hi James, Agreed with ze-pole, badge looks A-OK. Congratulations on your acquisition. These are not at all common. Many I’ve seen have some of the paint missing, which is also the case with the one in my collection.

As far as cleaning, I’m no expert, and generally try to avoid any sort of cleaning unless there are easily removable crusty deposits of dirt, waxes, or whatever. In such cases a wooden toothpick is employed. Verdigris is a different animal altogether as it is actively corrosive. I once successfully removed most of the verdigris build up on a bullion thread insignia using a little bit of vinegar and a toothpick. It was painstaking and lengthy process.

Should you go ahead with cleaning you’ll need to be extra careful to avoid removal of any more of the original painted surface. You might want to try posting your question in the Restoration and Refurbishing section of the forum:

Restoration & Refurbishing at War relics forum

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Gentlemen, Many thanks for your comments. I will try the Refurbishment thread and report back.
    Many thanks
    James

Hello,
    A friend of mine has got a Podhale breast badge... I have seen the same badge, but cleaned ! I wil ask him how he did to get it so clean !

Best regards.
    Ze-Pole