Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Poilsh Guard Companies at Dachau concentration camp post-war?

Article about: Does anyone have any information about which Polish Guards Companies (under US command) were guarding German PoWs at the former Dachau concentration camp post-war? Any pointers will be most

Default Poilsh Guard Companies at Dachau concentration camp post-war?

Does anyone have any information about which Polish Guards Companies (under US command) were guarding German PoWs at the former Dachau concentration camp post-war?

Any pointers will be most welcome for a research project.
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Poilsh Guard Companies at Dachau concentration camp post-war?

Hello Stefan,
    The 4010th Labor Service Guard Company guarded German war criminals in Landsberg and Dachau. The only Polish mounted guard unit (consisting mainly of the NSZ officers and soldiers) commanded by Capt. Stanislaw Żuraw alias Stanisław Bagiński, was stationed in Dachau between 1945 and 1948, but I don't know where excatly and whether they guarded German POWs. I know about two more LS Guard Companies which served in Dachau in 1946 (4103rd and 4011th). The 4011th LSC was moved to Dachau on April 3, 1946.

Regards,
    Tom

Thanks Tom
    That has been really helpful. I can now at least go to NARA with a starting point to look for relevant Polish Guards unit reports linked to Skorzeny and ODESSA at Dachau.

Also found online that Stanisław Żuraw was commander of the only Polish squadron of cavalry (about 50 horses) in the service of the Polish Guard companies at Dachau and Muna Münster (1946-1949) — company 4103 (14 December 1945 - 5 October 1946), Comp. 4022 (5 October 1946 - 4 February 1948) and Comp. 4230 (from 4 February 1948).
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.

A 1947 US Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) report identified Otto Skorzeny as involved in stage-managing escapes of SS prisoners out of Dachau; "This is being done with the help of Polish Guards. The Polish Guards are helping men that receive orders from Skorzeny to escape"

I wonder why Polish Guards would be involved (with ODESSA) in helping SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Skorzeny of the Waffen-SS to allow other SS prisoners—presumably awaiting war trials—to escape from Dachau?

This is the CIC reference but as yet I have not seen the original:

"Operation BRANDY" CIC Region IV, APO 205, January 15, 1947; "Operation BRANDY, Re: Organisation ODESSA," 907th CIC Detachment, January 20, 1947.

(Region IV APO 205 was Munich).
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Possibly common goal of future fighting against Soviets and overthrow of communisn and restablishment of Poland and Germany in 1939 borders. By 1945, both Poles and Germans were occupied by Soviets.

An earlier secret US intelligence report of 1946 reports:

VI. Agents Notes; Conclusion.

1. The first phase of the investigation as reported hereinabove has revealed the following:
    a. Members of a Polish Guard outfit at the DACHAU camp seem to be involved in courier service between prisoners of the DACHAU camp and persons outside, as well as in helping SS prisoners to see relatives.

The report further reveals that the Polish Guards mentioned were working through a "Fraulein Frey" who was the main source in supplying false papers and money for SS prisoners at Dachau. It also records that Fraulein Frey told the undercover US agent that she had shot and killed two Polish Guardsmen outside of Dachau camp because they knew too much about her activities.
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-17-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Hi Stefan,
    I've just found a document dated April 30, 1946 according to which the 4084th Polish Guard Company was then stationed in Dachau and its CO was Capt. Flis.

Regards,
    Tom