Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Poles in the Western European resistance forces

Article about: Hi guys, I've decided to post this thread here, as the other part of the Polish forum is dedicated to the Home Army resistance only, and moreover, many of Poles who had fought in French, Bel

Default Poles in the Western European resistance forces

Hi guys,
    I've decided to post this thread here, as the other part of the Polish forum is dedicated to the Home Army resistance only, and moreover, many of Poles who had fought in French, Belgian, etc. resistance forces later joined Polish Armed Forces in the West or (mostly in case of the members of communistic organisations like FTPF) 19th or 29th Polish Infantry Detachments of the 1st French Army).
    This time I'd like to show you some memorabilia of Poles fighting in French FFI. The armband is said to have been used by the guy living in Paris (I don't know if he took part in the liberation of Paris in 1944). The doc is a FTPF ID card. The winged badge is a French-made FFI commemorative badge. The smaller one is a Polish-made badge for Poles fighting in French Resistance. This Polish badge is shaped similarly to the ZBOWiD collar badge, what makes me believe this badge was given to the ex-FTPF Polish "comrade".
    If you have similar souvenirs, feel free to add pics of them.

Regards,
    Tom

PS If any French forum member can provide me with information where to search for the FFI badge number record, please let me know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Poles in the Western  European resistance forces   Poles in the Western  European resistance forces  

Default Re: Poles in the Western European resistance forces

Quote by Thomas the Tank Engine View Post
    . . . 19th or 29th Polish Infantry Detachments of the 1st French Army). . .
    Interesting items Tom

Here's a 19/29th Infantry Group badge with original leather "button hanger" backing.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Poles in the Western  European resistance forces   Poles in the Western  European resistance forces  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony, Teutonicknights, thanks for your interest guys.

I've got somewhere a service certificate of a 19th Polish Inf Det. soldier and some pics of another soldier who served with the 2nd Inf Div in France and Switzerland and later joined the 19th or 29th Det. A friend vet of the 2nd Inf Div told me, that some of his friends escaped from internment in Switzerland to France in 1944 and joined those detachments.
    Interestingly, some of the 19th/29th Det. vets after the war became jail guards in Poland because they had usually been born in Polish-French emigration families who were usually communist what made them trustworthy to the new government. Moreover, they often spoke very feeble Polish so in case of their betrayal they couldn't easily pass an argot message from the prison. Other vets stayed in the Polish Army or joined various units of the Public Safety Ministry (renamed in 1954 to the Interior Ministry).
    They've got a vet association which details can be found by clicking here: Stowarzyszenie By
    They sometimes can be seen at some patriotic events wearing their red-green garrison caps. Lately I've seen them in Warsaw at the event commemorating the tragic death of Gen. Sikorski. Their presence seemed to be baseless as their official attitude toward the Polish Armed Forces and their COs was, so to say, much different sixty years ago...
    I hope you don't mind me writing on those detachments here...

Regards,
    Tom