Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID

Article about: I wonder if someone could help me on two accounts. Is it possible say what the collar pennons signify in the attached picture, they are on the uniform of a soldier of the Polish 1st Armoured

?

Default Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID

I wonder if someone could help me on two accounts.

Is it possible say what the collar pennons signify in the attached picture, they are on the uniform of a soldier of the Polish 1st Armoured Division.

In the second picture, there is an image of a vehicle which has the numbers 3 and 45 on it, again a vehicle of Polish 1st Armoured Division. The picture was taken at Haren, Germany, c1946. Can anyone tell me the significance of the numbers 3 and 45. If anyone can identify the vehicle type I would be grateful.

Thank you

MarkPolish 1st Armoured Division Unit IDPolish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID

?

I should have also added would the collar tabs have been any particular colour and if so what would be the significance of a particular colour.

Hi Mark,

The BD collar pennons appear to me to be 2nd Armoured Regiment. The colours translate favourably to B&W:

The truck appears to be a Morris Commercial model with the 3 on the disc indicating the weight class of the vehicle ("bridge classification"), and the 45 represents the 10th Mounted Rifles Regiment:

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Dear Tony

Thank you very much. I intend to place the image with a museum, so I am trying to write-up the details of the man in the picture, who lived in Leicester post-war. Whilst I am in interested in military history, the intricacies of uniforms, &c., of Polish forces during the 39-45 War is not something I know about. I should have added perhaps that the uniform in the top picture is worn by the same man who appears in the bottom picture, at right. Would the 2nd Armoured Regiment have had a particular attachment or affiliation to the 10th Mounted Rifles?

Best wishes and a Happy New Year

Mark

Hi Mark, and happy new year to you also. As it happens, the collar pennon colours of the 10th Mounted Rifles Regiment also translate favourably in B&W. As you can see, this is less than a precise science. So because it is the same soldier in both pictures it's a safe bet that this will be his collar tab colouring:

Posted below is a genuine BD grouping including the 10th Mounted Rifles Regimental badge that belonged to 2nd Lt. Stanislaw Szczawinski.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID   Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID  

Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID   Polish 1st Armoured Division Unit ID  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Fantastic grouping (wonderful type of 1st AD shoulder insigna) Tony!! Thanx for sharing

?

Dear Tony

Thank you for sharing the pictures of the uniforms. I agree with you the collar tabs (pennon) and the details of the other picture makes sense of the unit details. For the record the man on the right of the picture was called Edward Smolen of Leicester. He became a naturalised British Subject on the 30th November 1959.

Best wishes

Mark

?

Dear Tony

May I ask if there is any significance to the single black epaulette?

Thank you

Mark

Hello again Mark,

The black left epaulette commemorated the 10th Cavalry Brigade commanded by then Colonel Maczek which distinguished itself in the September Campaign of 1939. It received the nickname "The Black Brigade", allegedly by the invading Germans, due to the black leather coats worn by Poland's only fully mechanized brigade in the pre-war armed forces. Maczek would in exile be promoted to general and command the 1st Polish Armoured Division.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Dear Tony

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me and the world. A lot of negative things are said about the internet, and we all know of its hideous abuses. However, the good it does in very simple ways of allowing interesting and interested parties to converse, consult, educate, and share their knowledge and passion for their own subjects is wonderful. I am currently trying to find out some information on a WW2 Polish Officer. I may be back to ask you some more on another occasion. Thank you Tony.

Best Wishes

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast