Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.

Article about: Hello. I just recently obtain this nice badge. I don't know much about history behind this badge. The is some data in Wesolowski book but I believed is not 100% correct. If some members one

Smile Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.

Hello.
    I just recently obtain this nice badge.
    I don't know much about history behind this badge.
    The is some data in Wesolowski book but I believed is not 100% correct. If some members one of this forum know more about this badge I will be grateful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.   Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.  

Default Re: Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.

Indeed, Wesolowski makes errors...
    Ze-Pole

Hi Kristof,

Thanks for your post.

I don’t know too much about this badge other than it was released in a very limited quantity in 1940 just before the fall off France. I believe that Wesolowski describes it as the 1st Air Division, whereas it should be the 1st Air Corps if memory serves.

Normally a very rarely seen badge, but very strangely your is the third one I have been shown within the span of three weeks. As we all know, in our hobby such ‘blips’ are always reason for concern. Nonetheless, I see nothing on your badge that gives me reason to doubt its authenticity. But it remains highly unusual to suddenly see these popping out of the woodwork, when I haven’t encountered a single one in several years.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

That is a badge made by France for the 1rst Dragoons Regiment of Vietnam...

1er Dragon Vietnamien en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 21-mars-10 11:19:18 Paris)

Ze-Pole

ccj
    ?

It looks Polish to me...

Quote by ze-pole View Post
    That is a badge made by France for the 1rst Dragoons Regiment of Vietnam...

1er Dragon Vietnamien en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 21-mars-10 11:19:18 Paris)

Ze-Pole
    Thanks Tony ,Ze-pole.
    This is all about friendly help and expertize .
    I'm changing my mind I'm sending this badge to privies owner.
    This is unusual situation ,and I'm don't wont to bee another
    casualty in this expensive hobby.

This is an interesting development. More research is in order . . .

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

You know, it is not inconceivable that both Tony and ze-pole are right in at least some respect. Was the badge made by Bertrand for the Vietnamese or for the Poles? Having not been issued to the Poles, could the "new old stock" then have been made available to the forces in French Indo-China? Much in the way that armies adopted unused surplus helmets or weapons from other countries? A key fact that is missing is: where did Wesolowski get the information that he put in his book when describing the badge? Did he get it from a reliable source or did he make it up? Anyway, I don't have an opinion on the matter, but this may be a point worth addressing?

3mk
    ?

Maybe I should try contacting him?

Kirstof,Would it be ok to use photos of your badge to send to him?Not to doubt the authenticity, I just dont know what to call it 1st Air corps or 1st Vietemese Dragoons!

Regards
    Emil

Ivan, you bring up valid points worthy of investigation. And thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. But in retrospect this could be a case of another Wesolowski error that has been propagated into taking on a life of its own, ensnaring me and others. A brief scan of my resources has yet to verify this badge as being legitimately connected to the Polish Air Force in 1940 France. Thus far I had been going on the basis of: 1) discussions with other collectors, one of whom recently corrected the “Division” to “Corps” as the proper unit designation; 2) this badge forming part of an advanced Polish badge collection I know of; and 3) repeatedly seeing the badge identified as being Polish (case in point below when sold by this dealer as the “1st Air Division badge - France”). Gotta love this hobby – always something new to learn and a surprise around every corner! Stay tuned . . .

Tony
    Quote by IvanPutski View Post
    You know, it is not inconceivable that both Tony and ze-pole are right in at least some respect. Was the badge made by Bertrand for the Vietnamese or for the Poles? Having not been issued to the Poles, could the "new old stock" then have been made available to the forces in French Indo-China? Much in the way that armies adopted unused surplus helmets or weapons from other countries? A key fact that is missing is: where did Wesolowski get the information that he put in his book when describing the badge? Did he get it from a reliable source or did he make it up? Anyway, I don't have an opinion on the matter, but this may be a point worth addressing?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Air Force in WWII France 1940.  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast