Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Polish AirForce Badges Gallery

Article about: Finally I have finished my PAF Wing display.

Hi Tony,

It should be solid silver because there is a silver hallmark on the wing, however there is some kind of brown coating on it. Silver is more plastic than brass and it is easier to prepare cast with it. Of course we have to wait for Simon's reply with final explanations.

Regards,
    Jacek

?

Thanks guys, let me explain

?

It indeed is silver, hallmarked Moroccan 800 silver content. Badge has never been cleaned, and is heavily oxidized. Crude molds had a big impact on its quality.
    According to Col. Stanislaw Socha of 303 Fighter Squadron, during his stay in Morocco in 1940, one of the pilots contacted local jeweler in Rabat and ordered over 20 pilot badges. There was a total of 21 Polish pilots sent to Rabat as instructors. Most of them were in the rank of cadet/warrant officer. They agreed on silver cast. As a pattern they used Knedler's pre-WWII badge. Socha graduated from Eaglets School in Deblin 1n 1939 (XIV, last promotion) and never received his pilot wings back in Poland. Socha's wings bear number 18.

Quote by jaxmon View Post
    It indeed is silver, hallmarked Moroccan 800 silver content. Badge has never been cleaned, and is heavily oxidized. Crude molds had a big impact on its quality.
    According to Col. Stanislaw Socha of 303 Fighter Squadron, during his stay in Morocco in 1940, one of the pilots contacted local jeweler in Rabat and ordered over 20 pilot badges. There was a total of 21 Polish pilots sent to Rabat as instructors. Most of them were in the rank of cadet/warrant officer. They agreed on silver cast. As a pattern they used Knedler's pre-WWII badge. Socha graduated from Eaglets School in Deblin 1n 1939 (XIV, last promotion) and never received his pilot wings back in Poland. Socha's wings bear number 18.
    Wonderful story - thank you Simon very much for dealing with us and once again CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Do you know who was the owner of your badge with number 15 ???

Cheers,
    Jacek

?

Thanks again, Jacek and Tony.
    I don't know who received wings #15. Such a record has to be discovered yet.

Fellows,
    Any connections / ID information re this one?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish AirForce Badges Gallery   Polish AirForce Badges Gallery  

Polish AirForce Badges Gallery   Polish AirForce Badges Gallery  

?

Pilot badge- probably Workshop made

Badge copied from the pre-war badge of J. Knedlera.
    Poured from soft metal. The bar is made of a screw with a nut.

A typical badge used in the early period of the existence of PAF in the United Kingdom.

Anybody confirm this information?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish AirForce Badges Gallery  
    Last edited by Tomek; 04-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Hello,
    About the Polish Air Badge, a monument is going to be inaugurated very soon in France about the famous pilot HORBACZEWSKI, to the place where his plane crashed.
    I will give details to Tony. Tony, if you can open a thread on the forum ? I will have details this weekend.
    Best regards.
    ZP

Hi ZP, send me your pics and I will start up a new thread.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default St Socha African pilot wing.

Hello everybody.
    I attached two pictures which explain a little about the African pilot wing.
    The words written on them come directly from Stan Socha.
    If you would like to learn more about his French/ African experience, you can read my book entitled "I Liked the Spitfire Best of All: Memoirs of Lt Col. Stanislaw Socha a Pilot of 303 Squadron During 1941-1945".
    Polish AirForce Badges GalleryPolish AirForce Badges Gallery

Adam

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast